gteigland VIP
Total posts: 159
08 Mar 2016 14:25
  1. Ok I'm starting a camera database site but need the ability to link manufacturers. So for example I have a record with a camera that is made by manfacturer "Nikon". I need that linkable so that the user can click on Nikon and get data about their history or whatever else we put in there. Ideally we'd like to create another content type in Cobalt so that we can manage the 100s of manufacturers in there. I guess a similar application would be like if you have a databse of movies and when you see the actros listing in the movie you are able to click on that actor and get their biography information and other films they acted in.

2. One other question related to a parent/child sub-table type of thing and adding more then description. So for example each camera belongs to a camera series. So when that camera series is selected with that specific camera listing it auto populates the description and Accessories List associated with the camera series. We want to avoid listing that for every camera record in the database. For example camera 'ABC' belongs to series "X14". When "X14" is selected in the 'ABC' camera record it then autodisplays the description and Accessories list of "X14" camera series

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
08 Mar 2016 20:39

Hello gteigland,
1.) Most likely Relation fields. Create a new type/section for "Manufacturers". As you mentioned, it is very similar to a movie database concept.

2.) Either Relation fields, Or you might have a look at Records field. It can also show related infos, even make field comparisons.

@Sergey Downloads screenshots should be updated to Cobalt8 / Joomla 3 ;)