Why should you pay attention on Emerald? Emerald is amazing, unique and oldest membership extension for Joomla. After 8 years of development and implementation of new ideas it is a beautiful application that can satisfy anyone and be adjusted for any subscriptions scenario.
Emerald has its own years proof universal algorithm to restrict ANY Joomla extension without ANY need of special integration.
And in Emerald 9 we went even further and added restriction adapters that allow fine tune restriction rules for desired extensions if universal algorithm is not enough.
Emerald is a frontend extension. It means that create plans, manage subscriptions, create coupons or any other actions that is classically used to be managed in backend, now moved to frontend.
I know, for some people at first it may sounds weird and senseless. But let me try to convince you that this is indeed the way to go.
Just start to use it and you will love it. In few minutes you will experience that managing from frontend is much more convenient. You do not need to jump between backend and frontend.
Think of possibilities this approach opens. With proper rights management (which is Emerald 10 roadmap) registered users will be able to create their own subscription plans and sell something on your site with their own subscriptions. This allows you to use membership site as SaaS or simply multi-vendor.
This is a place to start. It is designed for daily use. From dashboard you can quickly accesss:
- Quick icons to manage plans, subscriptions, coupons or see analytics.
- 10 last sales with state, user, gateway and gateway ID.
- Subscriptions that was not activated. Sometimes user what to pay online or payment gateway verification fails. Here you can instantly activate subscription as soon as you get payment confirmation.
- Last 30 days sale progress.
Emerald will let you create most flexible subscription plans possible.
Flexible period set - Set periods like 1 month or 2 year. Also you may set exact start and end date. Or set something like Till the end of this month.
Limits - Limit how many time this subscription can be purchased total or per user, or per user in given period of time. You can also limit how many times this subscription can be used with different calculation modes.
Templating - Every plans group have template parameter. You can set different template for different group. You can even create custom template and it will be preserved on Emerald update.
Here is the list of 2 groups of plans, each group in different template.
Other plan options
- Set discount for first plan purchase.
- Create zero (0.00) price subscription plans.
- Group plans into groups.
- Make plans invisible but still active.
- Set success purchase landing page.
- Grant (give for free one time) created plan to all users, or grant it only to those who register after day of plan creation.
- Set email alerts text for successful, fail subscription creation or subsection cancel and expire.
Cross planning is a unique mechanism with advanced logic but made so simple you will quickly understand.
- Affect price of current the plan depending on plans user had already purchased.
- Require other plans to be purchased before purchase current plan.
- Grand (give for free) other plans upon current plan success purchase.
- Deactivate subscriptions of other plans upon current plan success purchase.
- Calculate current plan start day depending on other plans that already purchased.
This is awesome set of features, which you will find no in any other membership extension.
MUA (Multiple User Access)
This amazing enterprise feature that allows users to share purchased subscription with limited number of other users. For example company purchase plan but they want their staff to get access to restricted content each one under their own accounts but using same subscription.
Actions are small Emerald plugins that may trigger some code on subscription successful activation and on deactivation or expire. You can add as many actions to subscription plan as you want.
Right out of the box you get these actions.
|User Group||Move user to Joomla desired group. Note that subscription plans are already considered as user groups. You need this action only if you use Joomla core ACL to add additional restrictions.|
|SQL Query||Runs custom SQL queries on subscription activated and disactivated events.|
|AMIGOS||Integrates with AMIGOS Affiliate Tracking|
|iDevAffiliate||Integrates with iDevAffiliate|
|Google Analytics||Add tracking code and let Google Analytics to register goal and amount paid. Then you will see your sale reports in Google Analytics|
- lines - Progress of the sales total
- lines - Progress of the sales by plans or plans group
- pie - Total sales by plans or groups
- pie - Total sales counts by plans or groups
- pie - Sales by plans or groups for given period
- pie - Sales counts by plans or groups for given period
- And more.
Also note that there is Google Analytics action that will track all your sales and you can use Google analytics not only to report on you sales, but also compare it to whew ere user clic, from what country, how long user stay, and so on.
Very flexible discount coupon system
- Create percentage discount coupons.
- Create fixed amount discount coupons.
- Create gift certificates for fixed amounts.
- Bind coupons to plans.
- Bind coupons to users.
- Limit coupons total time to be used.
- Limit coupons times to be used per user.
- Batch coupons generation.
- Set coupon automatic expiration date.
- Set coupon availability start date.
Did I miss anything?
Emerald all it's plugins, gateways, actions and restriction adapters have language files for translation. Wee took care that every string got there. Even email alerts for plans can be translated through Joomla language overrides system.
In addition you can use great Transifex service to translate it into your own language. Here is the emerald Transifex project. Join, create your language if not exists and translate.
With Emerald you get one free offline payment gateway. This gateway simply creates inactive subscription, sends email to you and email to customer with offline payment instruction like bank account details for wire transfer, address to send cheque or details for WesternUnion. Then you manually activate subscription when founds are received.
Emerald is integrated with most popular payment gateways like
- Worldpay (with futurepay)
- Skrill (former moneybookers)
- Google checkout
For Russian customers special set of gateways
Other Important Highlights
- View article intro but protect full view for core Joomla articles restrictions.
- After success purchase land user to the page he was trying to access.
- Subscription history for members to check their subscription status.
- Invoice generator for purchased subscriptions.
- Create subscription manually.
- Every plan may have its own set of payment gateways with different settings.
How it works
After installing and configuring the component any user who tries to read a commercial article or instigate a protected action like submit an item without proper registration or without having an appropriate active subscription will be prompted with a login form. After the login the user will be redirected to the article if they have the appropriate subscription plan. Otherwise they will be prompted with the option to purchase a subscription plan. In turn, if the user purchases the subscription then they will gain access to the article.
Solid Cobalt 8 Integration
This will allow you everything you can imagine. Restrict article submission, editing, extending, making featured, view or display. Restrict just some fields from submission, edit, view or display. Some fields have additional integration to protect downloads, picture views or video stream.
Or use drip content Cobalt field to release articles based on schedule or homework confirmation.
Emerald + Cobalt = Ultimate membership solution.
Why there is no subscription during registration?
There are number of strong reasons why it is not implemented.
- Possibility to use any means of registration. Register through hikashop, easyExtended, CB and JomSocial etc...
- Usually you have 3 type of content on your site. For public, for registered and for paid members
- On pay-for-registration models a user is usually deleted after subscriptions expire. In step-by-step registration only access to protected items expire and the user may purchase another subscription without completing a new registration process
- Users may purchase multiple plans unlike only one during registration
There is another very important strategic reason. It is very hard to get someone to pay nowadays. So you start with giving user free content, then content for registered users stimulate user to get registered and then you offer paid content. This is technique of "Involving" user. It is much less possible that user immediately purchase on your site then if he slowly go from guest through registered user to paid member.
We do not have one :) Not because we do not want to further develop but because we had analyzed all other Joomla membership extensions, and although it was hard to find there something that Emerald does not have, we compiled all those features and pulled them into Emerald 9.
And now we are completely out of ideas. I mean there is always something to add here and there even tiny features, but those are not a subject for road map.
Anyways you are welcome to suggest your ideas and see how soon we can create new road map to make Emerald even better.