gteigland VIP
Total posts: 159
08 Jun 2015 16:04

Im new to cobalt and have been searching the forums but can't seem to find the answers.

1. Can I create a user home page that pulls data from different sections or content types? Can it only display items the have been featured?
  2. Im creating a frontend system where users can create/edit content. Is there a way via menu type that it can list their user content only from a content type versus the whole section from all users. If not, is it possible through a module.

I'm trying to organize their content from them in a visual way so they can link on for example "Portfolio" which is a content type under a section "Projects" then it only lists that users Portofolio records so they can edit. So I could have multiple content types under one section but have it possible for user to just view ONLY THEIR OWN specific content type.

IN other words when they click on Porfolio menu link it only displays their "portfolio" content type which they can edit. When they click on "exhibition" menu link which is under the same section as portfolio it only displays their own exhibitions content type for editing.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Last Modified: 17 Jun 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
10 Jun 2015 10:43
  1. No. All sections are isolated. Section is considered as a separate extension. There is no way in Cobalt to show all articles from differnt sections. That is because every section has it's own list template, different types wit different fields, ...
  2. Yes, there is user items menu element

2015-06-10_16-30-42

And when you select that you can set default tab here

2015-06-10_16-31-21

Use the name of the tab from URL.

Also turn on Personalization in section parameters where you need user personal home page.

gteigland VIP
10 Jun 2015 17:09

I guess my question would be this. Like Drupal where you can put together different views from any database table. Is there something like that we can do with this.

For example I'm creating a USER home page where we see a users featured Projects (which is one cobalt content type) but then there are image link to their full portfolio (another cobalt content type) - Not listing the portfolio but a link to that users home content type and blog (link to user easyblog).

We are trying to diplays artist work in multiple forms. So we want a artist individual home page that can either display or link to those different content types.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
11 Jun 2015 00:16

gteigland We are trying to diplays artist work in multiple forms. So we want a artist individual home page that can either display or link to those different content types.

Would you mind to draw a visual layout/mockup of your page? A rough plan with notes/arrows. Similar to the dashboard example found in this topic.

That might help. (At least me an my dumb designer brain ;) )

Sergey
11 Jun 2015 04:37

Please follow suggestion of paperstreet and draw.

And ot me it looks like you need integration with EasySocial. This allows you to create user profile page and show content from different sections in one place. This is also good because it is not limited by cobalt only, you can show other user items across your site in the other extensions.

gteigland VIP
13 Jun 2015 17:39

Thanks for the info. I've attached a mockup from the old drupal site (I'm changing design) that notes what and where the content comes from within Joomla.

I'm already using and integrating Easy Social (ES) and Easy Blog for this site. This image and content would be the User Home page only displaying their content as displayed.

Bascially I'm just trying to create a view that pulls a users data from various sources. Mainly Cobalt Content types and some ES content and then simply links to other content/components.

Sample Image

Sergey
15 Jun 2015 06:49

OK, I see. It is getting more clear now.

Tell me the mockup you show is what, ES user homepage or your custom created page?

pepperstreet VIP
15 Jun 2015 15:33

Some thoughts...

Easy Social

If ES profile is the central point, I would try to customize the ES profile view. You can use several copies of the Cobalt App/plugin, which allow to list records from different sections/types. AFAIK, there is no parameter to restrict the records to "featured only". (request/idea!)

Apart from regular "apps", you can display modules in your ES profile. There are many pre-defined positions.

The only drawback is your "Featured Slider":
I assume the content is based on Profile owner. So, the Cobalt Records module should recognize this context. AFAIK, this is not implemented yet. I have heared, that it already supports "JSN Easy-Profile"... so, it might be possible to get this feature for ES, too. (request/idea!)

I guess EasyBlog will also integrate with your ES profile much smoother.

gteigland VIP
16 Jun 2015 04:32

Thanks so much for you advice so far. This mockup is intended for Cobalt User Home page. I was hoping this could be the home page (of user) using Cobalt since ES is busy with so many other items.

If not Cobalt is there some other "device" that can pull in elements like Drupal views?

Thanks!

Love your product so far.

Sergey
16 Jun 2015 05:27

gteigland This mockup is intended for Cobalt User Home page

This is not possible. Cobalt has no view that would show items from different sections. There is user homepage only within the scope of a section.

Your another solution might be JSN which is simple profile and Cobalt Records modules configured to show only this user items.

pepperstreet VIP
16 Jun 2015 16:30

gteigland If not Cobalt is there some other "device" that can pull in elements like Drupal views?

That is the beauty of DRUPAL / VIEWS. Pretty unique in regards of utilizing and displaying data.

JOOMLA is a total different story. Usually extensions work independently and store their data in many different ways. There is no common integration, except for some special solutions provided by the extension developer. The benefit in Joomla is the vast amount of "applications", that fulfill a certain purpose and tasks. But you always have to think twice and try a lot before choosing a solution.

Apart from those pre-made solutions/applications, there are some nice extensions that offer more freedom. You may call them "CCKs" or "Application Builders"... e.g. Cobalt, Seblod, Fabrik ...

PS: You might have a look at Fabrik, which is more DB related. It also allows to view and access other tables etc. However, this feature does not solve any task, because you would get the "raw" data from another extension. You don't get any proper formatting or output out-of-the-box! Hence, some advanced frontend and backend modules need a subscription.

PPS: Cobalt includes much more workflows and other features you would have to build otherwise from scratch. I would call it a "hybrid" between a CCK/Directory/AppBuilder ;) . Although it is not the right choice, if you want to show/alter other DB tables/extensions data.

gteigland VIP
17 Jun 2015 15:19

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES!