Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
12 Aug 2013 07:38

Hi,

I need users to be able to extend their subscription per record once it has expired.

Typical usage scenario

Classified Ads website

Users can place their adds (like classified ads in newspapers) to promote their business or service. An ad consists of a notice (title and short description) and a full ad view.

Placing an ad is free for a limited time period, let's say a week. Users can place multiple ads. After a week an ad expires and after payment it can be extended for 1 week, 2 weeks, a month, etc.

Expired ads can be prolonged at any time, even if an ad has expired for more then a couple of months. The new paid subscription starts at the end of the free subscription period or when a new subscription has been paid.

So far, I haven't found a way to accomplish this :(

Please tell me this can be achieved......

Best regards,

Jeff

Last Modified: 22 May 2018

Jeff VIP
13 Aug 2013 18:26

Hi Sergey,

would you please comment on this topic.

I really need an answer soon.

The continuation of my project depends on it :S

Best regards,

Jeff

25 Aug 2013 16:02

pepperstreet: hello Jeff, not sure if I got your idea and setup. BTW, do you know the older ME Membership documentation. Some help and info might be applicable for your use case!? Last entry: Subscription Plan Operation

25 Aug 2013 20:31

Jeff

Hi pepperstreet thank you for the info. :)

Let me explain my idea and setup. It is really very simple.

Imagine a site where registered users can publish personal ads.

There's no restriction in the amount of free ads they can publish.

ALL free ads expire after a week.

If someone wish to prolong an ad, a subscription plan can be purchased.

THAT'S IT!

So: subscription plans are sold per ad/record.

In the old documentation there's a topic about Article individualization, which comes closest to my needs. But this only works with Joomla articles.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
27 Aug 2013 01:30

What is your add management extension?

Jeff VIP
27 Aug 2013 02:53

**Sergey Romanov **

What is your add management extension?

I don't use an ad management extension. It is all based on Cobalt.

In fact it is not about ads at all. It was just an example, but the principle is the same.

My current project is real, but I don't want to reveal to much yet for very good reasons. Apologies for any misunderstandings.

The question remains though. I need subscription based on records.

Jeff VIP
27 Aug 2013 03:13

**pepperstreet **

Sorry, still not sure about the workflow. If you can create unlimited ads for FREE/7days, why should someone buy a subscription at all? The benefit is a longer timeframe? In other words: If you are lazy, Pay for some convenience? How long is this timeframe?

This concept is globally used by E-bay, Marktplaats (The Netherlands) or any other auction site where users can sell their stuff and visitors can make bids. The benefit of a longer timeframe is to extend the time visitors can buy your product in case you haven't sold it yet.

If you are lazy as a seller, you shouldn't sell your stuff at all :)

If you are lazy as a buyer, it doesn't matter, because you don't have to pay a thing....

You can buy different Timeframes:

1 week, 2 weeks, etc. just as much as you think you'll need to satisfy you and your audience.

Hope this clarifies thing a little :)

Sergey
27 Aug 2013 09:25

Ok.

You can create different plans and allow first plan to get free for first time. Or just 1 week trial plan which will be able to get only once.

In Cobalt content type parameters, restrict ads display. This means that it will require subscription for author of cobalt article to display. No prolongation needed. As long as you have active subscriptions your articles are accessible and if no subscription articles are not accessible.

But anyways, Emerald is so flexible that there is number of ways to implement your scenario.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
27 Aug 2013 10:48

As long as you have active subscriptions your articles are accessible and if no subscription articles are not accessible.

But this would apply to ALL articles. I suppose, Jeff wants to have different times for each article.

Sergey
27 Aug 2013 14:24

For different time you may set auto expiration in Cobalt. And then also allow prolong if certain subscription is active.

Jeff VIP
27 Aug 2013 19:21

pepperstreet

But this would apply to ALL articles. I suppose, Jeff wants to have different times for each article.

Correct! :)

Jeff VIP
27 Aug 2013 19:28

Sergey

For different time you may set auto expiration in Cobalt. And then also allow prolong if certain subscription is active.

Ok, but what happens if a seller has multiple ads and purchases a 3 weeks prolongation subscription in order to extend just one ad?

I have set auto expiration to one week, but to what value do I set the default prolongation time?

The problem here is that I can only set one prolongation time, whereas there are multiple prolongation subscriptions :(

Sergey
28 Aug 2013 00:10

Ok, but what happens if a seller has multiple ads and purchases a 3 weeks prolongation subscription in order to extend just one ad?

Prolongation period may be set only in Cobalt not in Emerald. That means you cannot create Plan A prolong 1 month and plan и prolong 6 month.

It will be like this

You always prolong 1 month.

Plan a prolong your ads during 3 month.

Plan b prolong during 6 month.

You also can use Usage limit. For example plan to prolong only one add. Or only once depending on usage limit parameters.

Jeff VIP
28 Aug 2013 01:02

Sergey

Prolongation period may be set only in Cobalt not in Emerald. That means you cannot create Plan A prolong 1 month and plan и prolong 6 month.

That's really too bad.:(

This means that I have to confront my customers with extra complexity, just to prolong an ad for 12 months.

Instead of: "Click here to prolong this ad for 12 months."

It will be like: "Buy a subscription for 12 months. Please don't forget to prolong your ad at the end of each month within your 12 month subscription. No refunds will be made if you forget to prolong your ad each month within your subscription period." :(

Can you imagine the confusion and frustration this brings to my customers?

Q: "Hey, I thought I prolonged my ad for 12 months?"

A: "No you have just purchased 12 months subscription time. You are responsible to prolong your ad at the end of each month."

I'm sorry if I get a bit cynical here, but I can't see this working for me or my customers.

There must be another way to get this right...

Sergey

Sergey

You also can use Usage limit. For example plan to prolong only one add

How?

Sergey
28 Aug 2013 07:31

How?

there is usage limit parameter in every plan. And count limit parameter in Cobalt prolong restriction.

Jeff VIP
31 Aug 2013 19:09

Hi Sergey,

Emerald in its current state doesn't serve my (simple) needs.

IMHO a subscription plan per record would put Emerald on top of the competition.

Simple workflow:

Submit article => choose plan (free or paid) => expiry date is set according to chosen plan => article is submitted.

After expiry date:

Button "Extend" is displayed on article list-view => choose plan (free or paid) => etc.

So:

• I don't need plans for visitors (they have free access anyway.)

• I don't need restrictions to any Cobalt fields

• I just need publishers to purchase subscriptions to extend their articles to be accessible for the public (one subscription per article)

I really need a working solution soon because of the importance of my project

I've contacted the developer of another subscription component and they can easily create a custom app which facilitates all my requirements.

I'd rather use Cobalt's native subscription component, but unless your are available to do some paid custom development, I'll go for the "competition".

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
01 Sep 2013 02:25

What you need is simply solvable with custom Cobalt field.

On the form it shows list of the plans of the active user subscriptions.

After article is saved it updates article expiration date according to selected subscription.

And it shows prolong button when article expired.

All in single field.

Jeff VIP
01 Sep 2013 22:53

Sergey

Really? That's perfect then!

Sergey

Sergey

After article is saved it updates article expiration date according to selected subscription.

It seems we finally understand each other :)

But does this mean that you first have to purchase a subscription in order to be able to select one in the article form? The prolong button replaces the prolong item in the dropdown list, right?

Best practices:

New article

Submit button =>select plan (Free or paid) => continue free or pay for plan => expiry date is set according to chosen plan => fill in article details => submit

Extend article

Extend button => select plan (paid) => pay for plan => expiry date is set according to chosen plan => submit

People should be able to choose between free and paid plans when they submit a new article. Because if they want to have their article visible for 6 months directly, they don't have to wait until the free subscription date expires.

Sergey

Sergey

pepperstreet

Isn't it a good and logical extension for "Pay To Access" field.

That would be great!

Final requirements (!)

ANYBODY must be able to extend ANY article. So, if Person A made an article that has been expired, it can be extended by person B. This means not only the expiry date will be reset but also the owner/author.

Sergey: Can you give me a quote on how much you charge to get this done?

Thank you guys for thinking with me,

Jeff

Sergey
02 Sep 2013 07:16

But does this mean that you first have to purchase a subscription in order to be able to select one in the article form?

Yes. I think only those that you have purchased and those that are active. And this will add count to this subscription that it was used once.

But does this mean that you first have to purchase a subscription in order to be able to select one in the article form?

The prolong button replaces the prolong item in the dropdown list, right?

Right

Best practices:

New article

Submit button =>select plan (Free or paid) => continue free or pay for plan => expiry date is set according to chosen plan => fill in article details => submit

Extend article

Extend button => select plan (paid) => pay for plan => expiry date is set according to chosen plan => submit

Exactly.

Best practices:

New article

Extend article

People should be able to choose between free and paid plans when they submit a new article. Because if they want to have their article visible for 6 months directly, they don't have to wait until the free subscription date expires.

But there is no prolong with free plan right?

Best practices:

New article

Extend article

Sergey: Can you give me a quote on how much you charge to get this done?

I did not mean that. In fact I am pretty much busy now and it is hard to find time for custom work. I would spend from 2 to 6 hour. It means it would cost from 40 to 120 USD.

how soon do you need it?

Jeff VIP
02 Sep 2013 18:00

Sergey

Ah, you mean because:

Sergey

Sergey

And this will add count to this subscription that it was used once.

In that case free plans don't get prolonged.

Sergey

Sergey

Sergey

I did not mean that. In fact I am pretty much busy now and it is hard to find time for custom work. I would spend from 2 to 6 hour. It means it would cost from 40 to 120 USD.

I understand that. But since this concerns a tight integration between Cobalt AND Emerald I really want you to do this. I don't mind if you publish some of the custom work as a new field or something (like pepperstreet suggested), so it serves both my needs and the public. The costs are just fine.

Please don't forget about the Final Requirements. A reset of ownership after purchase is a mandatory requirement!

Sergey

Sergey

Sergey

ANYBODY must be able to extend ANY article. So, if Person A made an article that has been expired, it can be extended by person B. This means not only the expiry date will be reset but also the owner/author.

Sergey

Sergey

Sergey

Sergey

how soon do you need it?

As soon as possible because I will need to test it among some users and you'll probably need to tweak it until it's right. It all depends on your availability. **What if I double your rate because of the urgency? **:)

Sergey
03 Sep 2013 00:32

I don't mind if you publish some of the custom work as a new field or something

I do not think it will be useful for many. If I do it for public release I have to spend much more time. I have to add all the parameters. Because one wants that any one prolong any articles other what only author.

I think it will be easy just create field without parameters (except core templates) and just implement logic.

Let's see what I can do this week.

I don't mind if you publish some of the custom work as a new field or something

What if I double your rate because of the urgency?

This sounds sweet, but I will feel like I say I am busy just to raise the cost. I think 20 USD an hour is more than enough. But thank you. I very appreciate your offer.