klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
06 Aug 2014 09:52

Hey,

I noticed a couple of problems in geo field:

1. If I manually drag the position and click 'Address from marker' nothing happens. If I 'Enter a city' first then I can populate address with 'Address from marker'.
  2. Icons for fields (telephone, mobile, fax) are displayed if set to 'No'.
  3. Placeholder for 'Enter a city' is 'Eneter a city'.

Questions or suggestions:

This is what my form of geo field looks like:

map

I think it will get confusing for users to fill this field. The field is called geo but first you have to enter a address (if it's enabled).

So let's enter address first. The first thing is that if I choose 'Country' (ex. United Kingdom) and then go to 'City' field there are no suggestions based on what 'Country' I chose. There are only suggestions for already saved addresses. It would be nice to have suggestions based on what have you selected in previous step, so if I select United Kingdom as 'Country' and if I type 'L' in the 'City' I should have suggestions for all the cities in UK that starts with L (London, Liverpol, Leeds,...). The same when I enter 'City' I should get suggestions for 'Zip' based on this city. And so on. With suggestions we could eliminate for ex. cities from being misspelled (somebody could write London also as london, londn,...).

Now that we have filled our address I want to get position of it. I click 'Marker from address' and it's working fine. Position is ok and lang and lat is populated.

I go further and I see 'Enter a city' which is more map oriented than address from above. I figure I must populate it so I start typing. And when I click on suggestion it sets new position in map and my position from address gets over written.

Now my options are 2. I can write whole address in 'Enter a city' or I can again click 'Marker from address'. If I click 'Address from marker' it will just overwrite address fields with values from 'Enter a city'. So I can get in a spinning wheel.

Won't be better to somehow combine 'Address' and 'Map' option of geo field?

I don't know of a proper solution but even if you change order of 'Map' and 'Address' in form it would be better. In this case users will 1st fill 'Enter a city', then will set a position and then bellow they would see icon 'Address from marker' and that will be it.

Or if you have 'Address' enabled in geo field config you could eliminate 'Enter a city' input because you could control everything through 'Address' field.

Opinions please!

Regards

Last Modified: 11 Aug 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
07 Aug 2014 00:59
  1. Fixed
  2. Cannot reproduce. Wheer you have those icons?
  3. Fixed

Unfortunately there are so many different scenarios how to work with this address and map togather. Some people what map change while you eneter address some people want map be set separately.

What we have now was evolved with a long time and I believe that this is still the best what we can do to sutisfy most of the customers.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
07 Aug 2014 02:11

You could say the geo field is a Jack of all trades.

While very impressive in its overall functionality, it is confusing in terms of usability.

This is something I mentioned earlier: http://www.mintjoomla.com/support/community-forum/user-item/1453-jeff/48-cobalt-8/2531-new-geo-location-address-input-template.html

As Sergey said, it currently satisfies most of the customers.

You could however start to expirement with a custom geo field template, hide the stuff you don't need and reposition elements.

klox7 VIP
07 Aug 2014 07:19

Sergey Cannot reproduce. Wheer you have those icons?

In form view.

Sergey
08 Aug 2014 08:11

But they should be theer right?

klox7 VIP
08 Aug 2014 10:42

Yeah it's fine by me if they are there, I can remove them if I want. I just said in case they should disapear if you configure geo filed to not show icons. Sometimes even in form view you don't want icons.

Sergey
11 Aug 2014 01:51

Ok.