Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
11 Jul 2013 01:08

Hi Sergey,

may I strongly suggest a new geo location field?

After testing my dev website with a number of test users I found out that the input of an address is too much work, too complicated and too confusing for most test users. There are too many fields to fill in and including a map only increases the amount of puzzle.:(

Current actions:

1. Select Country

2. Fill in State

3. Fill in City

4. Fill in Address

5. Click on button: Marker from address

Where in actions 2 to 4 typing errors may occur

Preferable actions:

1. Start typing address

2. Choose from auto suggest

Where in action 1 any typo will be corrected with auto suggest

My suggestion is to use just one location field according the Google Maps JavaScript API v3 Places Autocomplete.

The challenge would be to explode the resulting string in order to auto save Country, State, City and Address as separate fields.

The search field in the Advanced Search would be an auto complete field, where only existing values are suggested of all the full Address strings that are stored in the database.

I have already managed to apply the Google auto suggest to the Address field, but the problem is that if I use only the Address field for a location, no markers are displayed in the Google Map view:(

It's also currently impossible to search address fields only.

I think simplicity is the key to make a web application successful and accessible. Especially when people have to fill in forms.

Hope you agree...

Best regards,

Jeff

Last Modified: 08 Aug 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
11 Jul 2013 06:48

Agree ... actually i did this week some testing with "places autocomplete" after experiencing trouble with the existing field.

We stopped encoding with the existing field and made quite some tests using places autocomplete --> with much higher success in finding and faster encoding.

I am still thinking of a good way, since we need the result filled into the address fields for future processing ....

Jeff VIP
11 Jul 2013 22:26

I love this synchronicity thing :)

Yes, I truly believe the single field approach is the best option.

Thing to consider:

Do we need a map in the form?

No, just to keep things as simple as possible and to minimize space on the form.

Yes, because some locations aren't suggested by Google (precise positions on a track for example)

But for the latter we need draggable marker and coordinates input, which add complexity.

So we need an option to choose between Simple and Advanced layout.

What if the selected location consist only City and State?**

See the example if you choose Amsterdam,NY

Suggestion: Whatever you choose, full geo locations are stored in the database based on the coordinates of the current query (Address,City, State, Country)

So if you choose Amsterdam,NY the following would be saved:

Church Street, Amsterdam, New York, United States, Lat.42.9386856, Long.-74.18818579999999

Do we need to show these fields on the form?

No, not in Simple mode.

To be continued....

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
12 Jul 2013 09:00

For places the result mentions also street,city,country,lat,long?

Jeff VIP
12 Jul 2013 21:02

The next time I won't use reply for such an elaborate comment :)

Here's some extra info on the matter from the Google Geo developers

Sackgesicht VIP
12 Jul 2013 22:12

The next time I won't use reply for such an elaborate comment

Yes, the problem with "Reply" is the formatting and also the user notification. it will only create a notification to the author of the comment which was commented and not to the whole topic authors, therefore users might miss sometimes valuable information

Sackgesicht VIP
12 Jul 2013 22:30

Btw,

maybe no new field is needed, just an additional/optional input template ...

Jeff VIP
13 Jul 2013 02:46

Sackgesicht

maybe no new field is needed, just an additional/optional input template ...

Yes, I agree.:)

In my current experiment I use address2 as the Google auto complete field. It is probably wrong to use this field for this purpose because of the wrong attribution, but anyway.

After selecting a location in address2, I have to select the button Marker from Address(2) and then click on Address from Marker to retrieve all the location fields, though...

I have to digg in further...

londoh VIP
Total posts: 137
22 Jul 2013 09:48

I found out that the input of an address is too much work, too complicated and too confusing for most test users. There are too many fields to fill in and including a map only increases the amount of puzzle.

I agree with this. The field is far too complicated as it is. Its rare I would say such a thing, and in fact it is a great piece of work... But its just too much.

So maybe split it into two interdependent fields: map AND location

Or create just a simple map field - ideally one that relies on existing cobalt address fields for geo input - would be enough for most jobs

londoh VIP
22 Jul 2013 17:07

there were already multiple discussions about separate fields etc

I am still a fan of having options like it was in "Mighty Resources"

sorry I've no idea what went before, I'm just the new kid here :D

As I said I think its a great piece of work, but it seems overkill for what I need to do.

In this instance I just need a location map. really even a basic static google map will do.

just something like this:

:D ._.

Perhaps I have a look at it and see if I can cut it down some.

On a separate note I did kinda expect it would plot records from a category, but it doesnt appear to do that. Or did I miss a trick?

londoh VIP
22 Jul 2013 17:10

oh... looks like I dont get to post links. but anyway you know what a static google map link looks like

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Jul 2013 08:55

So maybe split it into two interdependent fields: map AND location

This is how it used to be in mighty Resources. nad I should mention it was even more complicated if you wanted to connect address and location somehow.

I know field may have more than you need.

But if you need to turn off address there are only 2 parameters

Who can enter address

Who can view address

25 Sep 2013 10:37

It's an amazing component, and should be kept over complicated. ;-)

Everybody I show it to is just so amazed.

I've got a couple of issues with it, but compared to what it does, they're worth coping with in the short term.

Jeff VIP
08 Aug 2014 03:41

For places the result mentions also street,city,country,lat,long?

Yes