19 Nov 2013 06:56

Hi.

I would like to create a movie catalogue. In it, there are movies and actors.

Now, I’m looking for a way to add multiple actors to the movie, together with the name of the role.

For example:

Movie "Lord of the Rings" -> Actor "Elijah Wood” ; Role "Frodo”.

-> The actor-field is a relation to the actor entry.

-> The role-field is a text field.

What I don’t understand, is how to create a button like “add another Cast”. Please see attached image for visualisation.

I tried to find a solution, but I’m not sure how to do it. Is it possible? Is there a way to create repeatable field groups in Cobalt?

I think this is a very important feature.

What do you think?

Last Modified: 04 Apr 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
19 Nov 2013 19:05

Did you already play with Relation field (Parent/Child) ? A bit tricky and complex to setup, but that is your field of choice.

Important heads-up: Adding a NEW cast, is only possible on list-view and article full-view. Not on submission form of the Movie(Parent). But you can add EXISTING actors during submission. (Becomes much clearer, when you try it out!)

Some general tips can be found in this topic.

edit: corrected internal link because of new Cobalt forum URLs

pepperstreet VIP
19 Nov 2013 19:09

Since you want to create and add a related content, it is not a simple repeatable field, IMHO. However, that does not exist in C8 anyways ;-)

pepperstreet VIP
19 Nov 2013 19:19

Not sure about the "Role" field? How and where to add this info?

Actually, it is also a sort of relation. The information depends on both: Movie and actor! Maybe a chicken-and-egg situation. The movie could already include this "role list" as a limit, but that would not allow to "relate" the real actor... Neither logical, nor in regards of layout position.

Multiple relation steps are not possible.

ron.du VIP
Total posts: 113
19 Nov 2013 22:41

repetition field is a nice idea for sure. repetition option should be a GENERAL PARAMETER in field creation ( turn off / on )

i assume in the above screenshot '' Role ' is nothing but a text field .

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
20 Nov 2013 00:49

Unfortunately relation tagging is not an option in Cobalt 8. Currently there is no way to indicate connection time like for example name of personage of actor in a movie.

pepperstreet VIP
28 Mar 2014 01:25

@Sergey

FYI - just noticed that Joomla 3.2+ standard form field types got a "repeatable"
Related Joomla docs page

Maybe it is of any help for one of the possible approaches you mentioned in another topic: Cobalt fields vs. simple new fields.

pepperstreet VIP
28 Mar 2014 01:53

pepperstreet Important heads-up: Adding a NEW cast, is only possible on list-view and article full-view. Not on submission form of the Movie(Parent). But you can add EXISTING actors during submission. (Becomes much clearer, when you try it out!)

FYI - Here is a related topic about some UX and feature improvements for Relation-field. Would like to have some comments and more followers ;-)

Relation field - Add new child/parent on submission form - Multiple selection