baijianpeng VIP
Total posts: 239
13 May 2017 00:11

Emerald can be used to restrict files downloading permissions. However, if the "file" has been updated, the subscriber will not know that until he visits the download page again and check the version number (or the update Date).

So I have a new feature suggestion: Let Emerald "monitor" the file version change (by the "version" field in the DB table of the download management component like Remository or jDownloads), or "monitor" the update time (by the "date/time" field in DB table), or by "monitor" the file's date/time (by the time stamp in local server disk). Yes, the site Admin can choose which 1 or 2 or ALL of above methods to use for the definition of "file updated". Then, if Emerald notices that one of the file in the Plan has been updated, it will send out an update notification email to ALL the subscribers, to remind them to download the new version.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Well, if someone think "email notificaiton may be a botheration", we can include a "stop this kind of notification" link in the emails.

Thank you.

Last Modified: 02 Jun 2017

baijianpeng VIP
13 May 2017 00:26

This idea can also be applied to those "reading permission restrictions" plans. When the article (or blog post or documentation page) has been updated, Emerald will detect this and then send out "update notification email" to subscribers of that plan.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 May 2017 11:10

The idea of notification on fie update is good. I have nothing against it.

But it should be feature of file download extension. I cannot create in Emerald missing features of other extensions. like in Cobalt you can follow articles and get notifications if it is changed. It is feature of Cobalt because it is article of Cobalt.

So I think hotification of file change should be a feature of Remository to jDownload...

baijianpeng VIP
27 May 2017 00:56

What about "article update"? It should be a feature of Joomla core? What if Joomla core team will never add this feature?

I don't think these "update detection and notification feature" should NOT be a feature of Emerald. When people "buy" something in Emerald, they should be subscribed to those articles or blog items or download files AUTOMATICALLY, without the needing to "subscribe for update" again manually for each component.

Since Emerald is "selling" those contents, so Emerald is responsible to REMIND buyers (subscribers) for updates.

And, this is not too difficult, since almost every component has "version" or "modification date" field for its records, Emerlad just need to "monitor" (detect) the change of these version-related fields and then send out notification emails.

Thank you.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
02 Jun 2017 11:18

baijianpeng What about "article update"? It should be a feature of Joomla core? What if Joomla core team will never add this feature?

If there is no feature there is nothing to restrict.

baijianpeng And, this is not too difficult, since almost every component has "version" or "modification date" field for its records, Emerlad just need to "monitor" (detect) the change of these version-related fields and then send out notification emails.

How? There are 2 ways.

1. There is event in component on update then send notification.
  2. Create table and crawl articles once a day or once an hour.

Both those things more like and addition to that component that add to Emerald. It is sort of we add to those components feature to send noticiations and at the same time integrate it with Emerald.

I understand your perspective on it. But I still think I have to separate other extension features and Emerald features. To send notification on article update is a feature of extension that update article. To restrict those notification only for subscribers, is Emerald's feature.