clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
11 Jun 2017 08:38

Hello my current project is big and now i need to use video field but with thumbnail generator who could help me to have ffmpeg / mencoder / flv tools feature in video field please if anyone could help me please thank you

Last Modified: 18 Jun 2017

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
11 Jun 2017 13:19

It seems the video field supports FFMPEG. 2017-06-11_21-10-29 Make sure to put the correct path to your FFMPEG installation (Linux/Windows etc) and double check that FFMPEG has the permission to create thumbnails in /uploads/thumbs_cache/

As far as i can see is FFMPEG used for 2 functions:

1) determine the video duration and 2) create thumbnails from the 3rd second of the video for a playlist.

I dont have FFMPEG installed, therfore i could not check if it works properly.

clowride VIP
11 Jun 2017 13:56

thank you it seems it does not work because my hwd média share work :-/

Sackgesicht VIP
13 Jun 2017 05:44

Clowride,

I installed FFMPEG and it seems not working with the video field (at least here with latest version V3.3.2).

What functions do you need to be implemented through FFMPEG?

clowride VIP
13 Jun 2017 12:53

I want to generate thumbnail for video and display thumbnails in module

I installed FFMPEG and it seems not working with the video field (at least here with latest version V3.3.2

Yes i checked current ffmpeg feature in video field does not do nothing :-(

Sackgesicht VIP
14 Jun 2017 05:14

Clowride,

I checked it further ... FFMPEG with the video field creates thumbnails if the exact path to the ffmpeg installtion is saved in the parameter. I used earlier just ffmpeg, since it worked on the comand line from everywhere.

After putting "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg" there, the thumbnails were generated, but not displayed ... will further investigate.

Maybe the options for generating the thumbnails should be also a parameter to ensure future compatibility.

clowride VIP
15 Jun 2017 20:13

Sackgesicht Clowride,

I checked it further ... FFMPEG with the video field creates thumbnails if the exact path to the ffmpeg installtion is saved in the parameter. I used earlier just ffmpeg, since it worked on the comand line from everywhere.

After putting "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg" there, the thumbnails were generated, but not displayed ... will further investigate.

Maybe the options for generating the thumbnails should be also a parameter to ensure future compatibility.

yes but i think i saw a sergey's topic where he said this feature does not work it is bad, thubnail especially in module slider is really usefull thank you:-)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
18 Jun 2017 05:24

I did not intended usage of FFMPEG for thumbnails. it is only for redecoding and duration detection. And it only works with upload functionality.

clowride VIP
18 Jun 2017 05:47

i understand and it would be hard to implement that ? th ank you

Sackgesicht VIP
18 Jun 2017 05:58

Sergey it is only for redecoding

what do you mean with "redecoding"?

@clowride if the path to ffmpeg is correct, it creates the video thumbnail on upload. You can check it on the "uploads" folder under thumbs_cache/video/date_format

2017-06-18_13-53-07

clowride VIP
18 Jun 2017 06:25

sorry i was not clear i mean show thubnail in record liste and module thank you

Sackgesicht VIP
18 Jun 2017 06:27

Sergey duration detection

I could not see the duration was saved with the file/field.

Maybe a more elegant way to get all possible video parameters is the usage of FFPROBE with automatic JSON formatting, then saving it to the #__js_res_files params column

Example: ffprobe -v quiet -print_format json -show_format -show_streams "test.mp4" > "test.mp4.json"

Sergey
18 Jun 2017 06:38

FFPROB would be better solution. When I implemented ffmpeg I did not see that. Either it was not excited or I have overlooked it somehow.

In any case, I believe that video should be posted only through relyable video hosting like youtube, vimeo, screencast, brightcove and others. Then one get everything one wants. All possible customisations.

clowride VIP
18 Jun 2017 06:43

Sergey FFPROB would be better solution. When I implemented ffmpeg I did not see that. Either it was not excited or I have overlooked it somehow.

In any case, I believe that video should be posted only through relyable video hosting like youtube, vimeo, screencast, brightcove and others. Then one get everything one wants. All possible customisations.

i agree but for business solution , customers must post on vidéo hosting and copy and paste link and Côme back to website . in digital marketing we prefer short process to increase users retentions

Sergey
18 Jun 2017 07:32

clowride digital marketing we prefer short process to increase users retentions

This is the problem. It looks like a short process. But at the end it does not reflect all requirments businesses make. You cannot generate thumbnail or upload custom one, you cannot customize player and so on.

In addition it wil dramatically slow your server and video will be almost impossible to watch. And if you are website that provide video hosting quality streaming this is another league. There is not way you would use Cobalt on projects like this and even Joomla.

clowride VIP
18 Jun 2017 07:43

i understand