clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
23 Jun 2013 03:31

hello

please can you considerate add a great feature very usefull, i use with flexicontent

"check for unique alias (on item save)"

great if several users post the same records

thank you

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
24 Jun 2013 11:42

Good point.

BTW, reminds me on my older topic about ALIAS update. Could be useful to keep the existing Alias for (SEO) or update it on every edit.

pepperstreet VIP
22 Oct 2013 18:22

"check for unique alias (on item save)"

"unique title" in submission does prevent a doubled title.

Or is your idea about adding numbers/extra-characters/time-stamp to the ALIAS?

In other words: Allow same titles on display... but create an unique alias for URL?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
23 Oct 2013 00:30

we use ID wil alias so it is always unique.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Oct 2013 12:17

BTW, this topic fits to my older C7 topic. The first suggestion was to have an OPTION to auto-update the alias on article edit. We focused on the second point and forgot about this idea... please see initial post and first comments only.

I know, there is a manual edit for "Alias" in special fields for certan ACL. But that is not the feature I had in mind. Which seems still very useful.

Should I open a new and clean C8 topic?

Sergey
24 Oct 2013 01:27

Auto update is not good. What if you want to keep your alias? Because you change alias, you create double URL or lose old URL points/rank.

pepperstreet VIP
24 Oct 2013 12:25

Auto update is not good. What if you want to keep your alias? Because you change alias, you create double URL or lose old URL points/rank.

Yep, I am aware of this issue. I knew you would mention it ;-)

It should be an option, like it is for "unique title" and for "Alias edit" parameter. Not as a default.

Possible use-cases In real world:

• Users create an article and in most cases they finetune and modify their entry! Including the title. Apart from a corrected title, they expect to see the effect in Alias/URL as well. (think about Classifieds, or even an important Profile title and URL.

• Re-usable articles in an event list. Users might have un-published or even expired events. Later on a user wants to use this old article again... he might be lazy or just clever to re-use a complex article again: he just needs to edit date and a brand new title. Currently, this title would not be updated! It would not reflect the new content.

pepperstreet VIP
24 Oct 2013 12:29

What if you want to keep your alias?

What if your ALIAS is simply wrong... or needs to be adjusted / corrected?

Manual edit is o.k. for special moderators/admins. Not for the average user.

Sergey
24 Oct 2013 23:54

What if your ALIAS is simply wrong... or needs to be adjusted / corrected?

Then you can edit it manually. You can allow registered users to change alias.

pepperstreet VIP
05 Dec 2013 00:04

That is why no auto re-generation. Because users will create dozens of copies of the same page at least for Google.

Joomla article list select article and click copy, then it adds (2) to the eтв ща file of article.

I think it should follow the J! way. Currently, it does not. (C7 and C8)

The current "save-as-copy" action produces duplicated ALIAS.

Duplicated titles might be o.k., but Alias/URL?

Also posted in my initial C7 topic:

Alias title - Auto update after edit - Save as copy