pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
16 May 2012 07:42

I recently raised the idea about a default image. Also about filtering... During my last project with Resources picture field I asked myself...:

What is the better approach to have a default image?

• on field level and parameter (creates unwanted field values and data!)
  • on template level (check field if empty, just display and use a single image file if nessecary)

The template approach might come in handy on filtering, too. How should I filter for "has no image" if there is always a default value ;-)

What do you think...

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Official Answer

Image field 1.3 was released today. It has default value for picture. The option is called Default image path. There you ll need specify exact picture on the site. For example:

images\personal_folder\test.jpg

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 May 2012 08:28

How should I filter for "has no image" if there is always a default value

If you make on template level, then image should be like square with "No Image" label on it. Then "no image" in filter will make sense.

No it will not create extra data. Just display default image set in parameters.

• on template level (check field if empty, just display and use a single image file if nessecary)

This is almost the same what field level would do. So there is no sense for that to me.

Conclusion: Field level better.

Then I add default image feature for image field. Will be there with next field release.

pepperstreet VIP
18 May 2012 09:55

Cool, thank you! I will submit serveral Cobalt tests, ideas and issues next week ;-)

pepperstreet VIP
13 May 2013 15:40

Just forgot about Gallery field... would you mind to add it in C7 and C8?