pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
06 Nov 2012 16:47

Hello, since there were some comments about image field and available upload modes... I have thought about more alternatives.

We all know, the Joomla MediaManager is limited and out-dated (in other words: it sucks ;-) )

Maybe it is technically possible and a good promotion for Cobalt to utilize other filemanagers?!

Possible candidates:

1.) I am excited about the JCE 2.x FileBrowser. One problem, it does not offer an API, so it can´t be used by other components, yet. But the developer said it will be possible in the future.

2.) FILEman by JoomlaTools (makers of DOCman). It still lacks some important features, but "Johan" told me it already has an API. But it lacks documentation.

3.) K2 mediamanager. Why not? Currently i have no further infos about integration.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on this topic?

EDIT:

• Corrected JCE name to FileBrowser
  • Moved to Cobalt 8 category

Last Modified: 28 May 2018

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
07 Nov 2012 01:39

I agree. Let's decide what is the best solution.

andiamine VIP
Total posts: 295
11 Nov 2012 17:41

i really want integration with cobalt uploading system for image field, image manager it's not good for registered users.

Image field :

• initial directory mode

• J! Media Manager

• Cobalt upload system (highly recommended)

and i have no problem if will be paid field.

you can name it "image pro field"

Regards,

ANDI

Sergey
13 Nov 2012 19:49

Image for Cobalt 8 will have upload option but not like in gallery. Only one attachment field.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Oct 2013 18:34

since core Joomla media manager does not accept additional path and will always start in /images/ folder.

Does anybody know if there is an API or "hook" in MediaManager, that allows to append a folder location to the base folder?

In other words: Alter the path to the initial folder programatically?

i.e. /images is set in MediaManager global options

and when Cobalt displays it, check the current USERID, check for USERID named folder… if not there, create one… and start media manager listing from this location?

23 Apr 2014 14:42

pepperstreet

since core Joomla media manager does not accept additional path and will always start in /images/ folder.

Does anybody know if there is an API or "hook" in MediaManager, that allows to append a folder location to the base folder?

In other words: Alter the path to the initial folder programatically?

i.e. /images is set in MediaManager global options

and when Cobalt displays it, check the current USERID, check for USERID named folder… if not there, create one… and start media manager listing from this location?

I just found out how to accomplish that: just append &folder= to the URL which calls the image / media manager. See administrator/components/com_media/models/list.php - it retrieves the folder from the JRequest object. So you just need to set the variable somewhere. Thought I'd share.

Sergey
23 Apr 2014 15:37

Thank you Guest :)

pepperstreet VIP
23 Apr 2014 21:12

Guest just append &folder= to the URL which calls the image / media manager. See administrator/components/com_media/models/list.php

Thanks for the headsup! Nice tip.

pepperstreet VIP
27 May 2018 00:08

pepperstreet

Guest just append &folder= to the URL which calls the image / media manager. See administrator/components/com_media/models/list.php

Thanks for the headsup! Nice tip.

MediaManager

The parameter "Initial Folder" works well.
Drawback with current Joomla3.x MediaManager: Almost no ACL/permissions for the manager. A user with mediamanger access can browse the entire images directory. ;(

JCE File Manager (new features!)

In 2018 we seem to have new possibilites with JCE. The file-manager can replace J! core media fields! There is also a separate JCE-media custom field. The auto replacement seem to work in all Joomla core locations...

It would be awesome to have this filemanager in Cobalt. Apparently the core MediaManager seems to be loaded in the image field input template. Probably JCE would not recognize it as a Joomla form and media field...
Any chance? @Sergey ;)

Sergey
28 May 2018 15:02

Where do you see this? In image field as one way to attach image?

pepperstreet VIP
28 May 2018 20:48

Sergey Where do you see this? In image field as one way to attach image?

Yes. There is a parameter to choose the method. One of them is J! MediaManager... this could have another option "JCE filemanager".

Since this is no Joomla core XML form and field, JCE would not replace it with its system plugin and field.
Please, download and see their plugin and parameters, it can also work in different modes (images only, files only, or certain file extensions)

Maybe you can trigger the field? Or you would have to call the JCE filemanager like you have done it with the media-manager!?

pepperstreet VIP
28 May 2018 20:54

PS: The advantage is the much better and versatile feature and permissions set. Not sure if the stand-alone usage is different to the usual Editor context? Probably everything can be controlled with JCE profiles and plugin parameters, as long as the "Editor" is set as default for the current user. That would allow dynamic upload paths etc. (for instance per user!)

Not to mention that JCE PRO would allow image manipulation and resize.