pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
24 Sep 2012 17:09

(Re-Creation of this ME Resources topic You may follow the link for more comments and the complete discussion. I will add the important Comments below...)

Clients have a demand on simple navigation and obvious menu structures. Often they "think" in terms of 1 product needs 1 menuitem... sometimes I agree with that logic. The general problem in Joomla: Menu Items cannot be created automaticly in frontend and backend (as far as build-in capabilities are concerned). Even in backend, clients are confused by doing two or more extra tasks to add a simple menuitem...

**Conclusion: **

I always try to make it as easy as possible for clients. So I encourage them to use blog-menuitems and I often install 3rd-party category modules, that are **able to DRILL DOWN to the single items and LIST them automatically. **

**Result:

**Users just submit a new article/item, and they are done.

Request:

I am missing something similar in COBALT (and ME Resources). The CATEGORIES module is a potential candidate, but lists "only" categories WITHOUT included items. But it already counts them!

I guess, the category module is the best choice... Any chance to give it an optional ITEM DISPLAY with link? It seems, It does not require additional SQL-queries... Just get the title and link creation.

PS: I am aware of the amount of items... and that Resources and other CCKs are used for bigger content directories. But I am speaking of moderate item counts. Like product catalogs, business's services etc. No massive amounts of contents. Also a LIMIT parameter could prevent performance and timing issues.

**Example Links for Inspiration:

**Tip: Open interactive CONFIGURE link to see all parameters. i.e. Items can be turned off, different activator and accordion modes! Parent item link YES/NO, open levels, menu state cookies etc. etc.

Accordion Menu + Category count

Accordion Menu elegant + icons

ALL themes INDEX

Same options but as DROPMENU

Vertical Drop Menu Demos

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
24 Sep 2012 17:17

That is great. I think we will do this. We already have category module as Ajax mootree. It is not hard to add ability to show records right there using single parameter something like "Show Records"

The menu style category display will also get Ajax as option. And of course we can add records there. But that will work only with few records per category. If there are a lot of records more than 30 it will be complicated.

That is great. I think we will do this. We already have category module as Ajax mootree. It is not hard to add ability to show records right there using single parameter something like "Show Records"

The menu style category display will also get Ajax as option. And of course we can add records there. But that will work only with few records per category. If there are a lot of records more than 30 it will be complicated.

Glad, that you like the idea :-) A little security check for performance could be a LIMIT Items or LIMIT Category Levels parameter. Seen something similar in VTEM Drill Down menu... its called "Levels to render".

Glad, that you like the idea :-) A little security check for performance could be a LIMIT Items or LIMIT Category Levels parameter. Seen something similar in VTEM Drill Down menu... its called "Levels to render".

Another inspiration. The guys from Offlajn.com have some category and items menus for J!, K2, redshop, Tienda etc. They have Accordion and DropLine styles... There parameter is called "Display content with categories? YES/NO

Another inspiration. The guys from Offlajn.com have some category and items menus for J!, K2, redshop, Tienda etc. They have Accordion and DropLine styles... There parameter is called "Display content with categories? YES/NO

In general, it doesn´t have to be fancy or animated! Keep it simple as possible... A nested UL/LI list menu "Tree" output with good CSS is best! Everything else like Offlajn and VTEM is too much... as an option or template style o.k.!

In general, it doesn´t have to be fancy or animated! Keep it simple as possible... A nested UL/LI list menu "Tree" output with good CSS is best! Everything else like Offlajn and VTEM is too much... as an option or template style o.k.!

categories module... isn´t there 75% (or more) done? Even the items are already counted... all we need are the titles, and a proper output of the categories hierarchy as nested UL/LI.

categories module... isn´t there 75% (or more) done? Even the items are already counted... all we need are the titles, and a proper output of the categories hierarchy as nested UL/LI.

Thai is what it does. Ul/LI out put of category structure. We will just add records ability for it and little bit of AJAX not to load too much data on startup

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Sep 2012 19:13

But only Cobalt 8 (Wild Torch) :D

pepperstreet VIP
06 Jun 2013 18:01

But only Cobalt 8 (Wild Torch)

Single items/articles are not listed. C8 topic is here...