pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Aug 2012 15:01

(Moved from C7 category. Re-Creation of my feature request topic for Resources 6G. For further comments and official answer, follow this link: [6G] Navigation | previous and next article, up ?)

Idea:

Previous/Next record:

I would like to see a simple page navigation. Display next/previous links to navigate between articles. Maybe with optional titles. Navigation should be displayed on top/bottom or both areas.

Another user mentioned a "book module" feature. Reminds me on DRUPAL's book navigation. Which even allows an UP navigation. This up-link leads to the category (parent item).

Examples

• Joomla core article navigation with previous/next
  • misc WordPress plugins (simple and advanced!)
  • Drupal Book (screenshot)

Does it make sense to have a content-plugin OR a special field?

Thanks for listening.

PS: I am aware of possible problems through multiple category assignment and advanced filters. But this should not prevent the existing of a simpler "basic" solution. Please, readon in comments below...

Last Modified: 18 May 2021

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Aug 2012 21:15

I wanted to make it as part of core Joomla article template. But I have got problem with this. I have been discussing it with other developers trying to solve the problem but nothing so far.

It looks like there is no way to create SQL query with will take next and previos record in the row :)

At first it sounds easy, but when you start you get number of problem that you cannot solve.

1. There may be filtered to by applied and you are looking the search result so next record have to be next in search (This is more or less solvable if 2 is solved)

2. The order of the articles is unpredictable. Let's say it sorted by field Year. The next article have to be the next year. We could not figer aout ho to get next record ID.

pepperstreet VIP
12 Aug 2012 19:28
  1. The order of the articles is unpredictable. Let's say it sorted by field Year. The next article have to be the next year. We could not figer aout ho to get next record ID.

I see the difficulty. The initial list order seems to be an important and logical criteria. Makes absolutely sense. I guess, the user might expect a navigation logic, that works in context with the previous list items.

You are the mastermind behind Cobalt structure, I can´t suggest anything to you.

On the other hand... what about a simple navigation without the filter dependency? Just related to the categories hierarchy... and the initial ordering. I think, this is the minimum requirement for a "book-style" navigation like Drupal's.

BTW, there are serveral Prev/Next navigations for WordPress... maybe an inspirational source.

Sergey
12 Aug 2012 19:41

There is one idea for that. I'll try to create this feature Cobalt 8. Because i wanted to make "Documentation" pack with this navigation and category tree template with articles like we already discussed. Plus this navigation. Without it I cannot build "Documentation pack". As part of this pack I also wanted new field Poll which would work like question if this article was usefull and then show result as graph.

pepperstreet VIP
09 Feb 2013 10:25

There is one idea for that. I'll try to create this feature Cobalt 8. Because i wanted to make "Documentation" pack with this navigation and category tree template with articles like we already discussed. Plus this navigation. Without it I cannot build "Documentation pack". As part of this pack I also wanted new field Poll which would work like question if this article was usefull and then show result as graph.

Any chance for book-style navigation in C8 or C9 ?

Sergey
09 Feb 2013 21:26

It is still difficult question. Up to now I do not know good way to do that.

Sergey
11 Feb 2013 02:48

that might work. But you know how it is. We make it only by one ordering without filters and then we will be asked why I see that article or why this article is next when in the list other is next.

I do not think we can make half way solution. It will confuse people. I have to think out way to make it fully featured navigation with expected logic.

Sergey
12 Feb 2013 01:05

it makes sense for a whole book or documentation

I think it also make sense for page by page navigation. Foк example search return something. you select first result. But it is not what you want. Instead of going back and selecting second article you may just click next.

And this is very common scenario.

pepperstreet VIP
25 Apr 2013 11:21

Bumping my own topic... ._. :)

Any news or plans for future Cobalt releases?

Sergey
26 Apr 2013 04:54

i still think about memorizing/storing a sort of a "history"

You can do it on list page. But what if you come on article page directly from google without visiting list page?

pepperstreet VIP
21 Jun 2013 10:04

Can you give any hints or clues how to do a prev/(up)/next navigation? SQLs, location & technique (plugin?) I still believe in a "simple" navigation by default ordering and maybe "up" to parent category.

Sergey
24 Jun 2013 00:27

Can you give any hints or clues how to do a prev/(up)/next navigation? SQLs, location & technique (plugin?)

If i would know I would have done it already :)

pepperstreet VIP
01 Nov 2013 09:14

FYI - more related comments and a simple default solution has been discussed in this topic (see comments area!) Thanks goes to user "ETH000"!!!

I still believe in a "simple" navigation by default ordering and maybe "up" to parent category.

i think ETH000 approach is not bad. I think we share almost the same thoughts. Although i can´t follow technically, i almost understand the issues about sorting and filtering made by Sergey. What about this? (have mercy! sitebuilder/designer point of view ;-) )

• Simple mode (ETH000 method)
  • Smart mode (ETH000 method + dynamic rebuild of next/prev record link)

As far as i understand Sergey's comments, we need to "change" the "default" SQL-queries accordingly:

1. if sorting order has changed

2. if filters were applied

Since the page is reloaded/rebuild in any case... i think this SQL change to get correct prev/next links is technically possible, right? In other words, if someone changed sorting order... change navigation links as well...

Please, correct me if I am wrong here.

pepperstreet VIP
01 Nov 2013 16:34
  • Simple mode (ETH000 method)

Recently i found a simple default mode in Magento shop demo. As far as i can tell, it uses only 1 of the list sorting orders (called position). If you are on an item detail page, you see prev/next buttons...

If you change the order on list page to "price" or "name"... the prev/next order on item view is still the same as for "position"! That is absolutely o.k. for a basic functionality.

So, +1 for ETH000 idea as a starting point.

pepperstreet VIP
13 Sep 2014 15:15

Since this topic is of status "Reviewed"...
I am curious if prev/next navigation is considered as a Cobalt 9 feature?

Sergey
14 Sep 2014 01:06

pepperstreet I am curious if prev/next navigation is considered as a Cobalt 9 feature?

The scructure of DB is not changed in Cobalt 9. SO the issue is still there. I do not know how to do it.

pepperstreet VIP
15 Sep 2014 00:20

Sergey I do not know how to do it.

pepperstreet Recently i found a simple default mode in Magento shop demo. As far as i can tell, it uses only 1 of the list sorting orders (called position). If you are on an item detail page, you see prev/next buttons...

If you change the order on list page to "price" or "name", the prev/next order on item view is still the same as for "position"! That is absolutely o.k. for a basic functionality.

So, +1 for ETH000 idea as a starting point.

;)

Sergey
15 Sep 2014 01:09

pepperstreet If you change the order on list page to "price" or "name", the prev/next order on item view is still the same as for "position"! That is absolutely o.k. for a basic functionality.

There problem is that as soon as I make something like this, there will be other topics that will say that it is not acceptible to work like this. That it should follow ordering and even filters. For example you found 3 articles. YOu go inside the article then you expect next and prev buttons to list through those 3 articles only.

pepperstreet VIP
15 Sep 2014 11:36

Sergey there will be other topics that will say that it is not acceptible to work like this.

Yep, most likely! But who cares, you will get bad and good comments anyway ;) :D

That it should follow ordering and even filters. For example you found 3 articles. YOu go inside the article then you expect next and prev buttons to list through those 3 articles only.

I know, we discussed it before. But look at the MAGENTO example. If it is labeled and described as a SIMPLE NAVIGATION, no one can make complaints about the limited functionality. It does what it is made for. Also the main purpose is for navigating in the "initial" listing. i.e. Book, product catelog.

Another option could be to hide the prev/next navigation if filters/sorting is active. Or display an optional message.

BTW, is it possible to create a link/button which navigates to a RANDOM record of the same section or current subcategory? Just saw it on "behance", and I like the idea for this kind of browsing a huge directory.

Sergey
16 Sep 2014 00:24

In a hudge directoty, random may show you the same article from time to time.

pepperstreet VIP
16 Sep 2014 09:06

Sergey ... random may show you the same article from time to time.

No problem. Can you give a hint, how to get a random record link on a record full view template? Is it a custom SQL or with API. What's best practice to get a valid record-ID from current category/section.