pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 Feb 2014 19:38

Cobalt has already support for the usual suspects:

• CommunityBuilder (CB)
  • JomSocial (JS)
  • EasySocial (ES)

There is also a Gravatar option to have user-avatar thumbnails, if none of the bigger community scripts is installed. But this is an external service, that is just applicable to a certain group of advanced internet users.

The average user account might need a simple profile (joomla core plugin), but the core system lacks an profile image and upload! :(

Lite and promising alternative: Easy-Profile by JSN.

It is available for FREE and as a PRO version. The free one also offers Avatar-picture upload! The pro version adds SocialNetwork authentication and login and much more...

Unfortunately, Easy-Profile is not yet supported by Cobalt. I mean, there is no community-integration file in global config. First I thought there is an official workaround… because JSN provides a JomSocial-Bridge, which should make it work with Cobalt's existing JomSocial setting, but it simply does not help here. Cobalt throws an error message, if JomSocial component is not installed!

Suggestions:

A.) Maybe suppress the error-message behavior for JomSocial. So, JSN-JomSocial-Bridge can do his work.

B.) Direct Support for JSN Easy-Profile with a new, cobalt community integration file.

Related Links: - JED page - Docs (see Developers)

PS: It seems JSN is going to make it a real community extension in the future... Recently, I saw an activity-stream screenshot on twitter ;-)

Last Modified: 04 Apr 2024

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Feb 2014 07:09

Working on it.

pepperstreet VIP
26 Feb 2014 17:56

Working on it.

Wow, did not expect to find it in Cobalt 8.493 ?!! Cool, but i have seen some issues...

JSN Easy Profile:

User link dropdown menu seems to have duplicated labels and icons.

• Although the 1st link points to JSN profile page, it does have the same label and icon as the other Cobalt homepage link.
  • The UddeIM PMS link is duplicated (both links have the same URL)

CB integration for comparison:

• 1st link has correct label (but is missing a suitable icon)
  • one Cobalt homepage link
  • one PMS link

Sergey
26 Feb 2014 23:33

I see. I made some changes.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Feb 2014 05:59
  • 1st link has correct label (but is missing a suitable icon) > - 1st link has correct label (but is missing a suitable icon)

I see. I made some changes.

Regarding the Profile icon: Maybe something like: - IDcard icon - User/s icon

Sergey
27 Feb 2014 08:57

Icon added. Please check in new version.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Feb 2014 12:00

Icon added. Please check in new version.

Icon works great! :)

More thoughts and minor issues:

• All links, except for Cobalt Homepage, have no Menu-ItemID. Is it possible or maybe necessary to retrieve the correct one from the respective Profile extension MenuItem?

At least CB has a mandatory menu-item. I guess, JomSocial as well. JSN has one, but it seems to be optional. Although, JSN profile menu-item is the only one that shows the EDIT button. Thus it is a required Menu-Item.

• PMS link is also a bare link to the UddeIM component. I would suggest 2 UX improvements: A) check for access config in UddeIM. So, users do not get a restricted error message and blank page. Possible? Maybe show the PMS link, but inactive/muted. B) Open the link in a modal window and component template view. This keeps the user on the previous page context. After messaging, he can continue browsing.

Sergey
27 Feb 2014 23:09
  • PMS link is also a bare link to the UddeIM component. I would suggest 2 UX improvements: A) check for access config in UddeIM. So, users do not get a restricted error message and blank page. Possible? Maybe show the PMS link, but inactive/muted. B) Open the link in a modal window and component template view. This keeps the user on the previous page context. After messaging, he can continue browsing.

Good improvements. Not sure about access check. modal window is what i would like to avoid. It turn out to be weak point. On many sites TWBS modal does not work like expected.

• All links, except for Cobalt Homepage, have no Menu-ItemID.

Is there a parameters in extensions or I have to query DB?

pepperstreet VIP
28 Feb 2014 03:38

Good improvements. Not sure about access check. modal window is what i would like to avoid. It turn out to be weak point. On many sites TWBS modal does not work like expected.

Really? I thought latest modal of v2 was improved.

What do you think, is the standard modal in J!3.3->5 ?

Currently, there is still Squeezebox, right? But that is Mootools.

Is there a parameters in extensions or I have to query DB?

Not sure. I just know, that it can have a regular J! MenuItem. But that is not required, as far as CB is concerned. It can be used standalone... AND directly in CB tabs. I remember, that UddeIM has an internal config parameter, where you can override/assign a certain MenuItemID. Maybe this can be utilized, without any extra work from Cobalt side. (not tested, yet)

Apart from the modal window version...

what might be the best MenuItem-ID for the PMS? The one from current Cobalt section? Or the override from UddeIM...

Sergey
28 Feb 2014 09:24

Squeezebox works nice but that is mootools. And we have to slowly replace it with jQuery.

Apart from the modal window version...

what might be the best MenuItem-ID for the PMS?

Of course one that that is used by this extension.

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
10 Apr 2015 13:31

Hi, how is Cobalt integrated with EasyProfile? I mean what does it do? Is there any documentation? Can I show cobalt articles in easprofile user page?

pepperstreet VIP
10 Apr 2015 23:49

Integration is similar to CB.

• Link to Profile

klox7 Can I show cobalt articles in easprofile user page?

Ideas:

• You might use the Records module!? (not sure how to pass profile owner ID)
  • Maybe a JSN custom SQL field to select and show Cobalt records?

• Or the other way around: Place JSN profile data into Cobalt homepage header. Either by JSN API, or their special content plugin. "Jeff" told me it works on the whole page output. So, you can use the shortcode syntax anywhere.

Personally, I think the JSN Easy-Profile is best for user registration, adv profile data and user lists. (don't know much about the community addon)

BTW, you might also keep the focus on Cobalt Homepage: There are two re-direct parameters in options. One is for first login, and the second for each follow-up login. So, you can guide users on first login to edit their profile... and later send them to their Cobalt homepage.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
17 Apr 2015 04:00

pepperstreet Jeff" told me it works on the whole page output. So, you can use the shortcode syntax anywhere.

It will work in any Cobalt template but you have to add some embed code for the syntax to be properly recognised and executed:

<?php
$text = JHtml::_('content.prepare', '{<field alias> '.$item->user_id.'}');`
echo $text;
?>

The example above is used to show profile information in a Cobalt record, hence the addition of $item->user_id.

pepperstreet VIP
17 Apr 2015 07:13

Jeff

pepperstreet Jeff" told me it works on the whole page output. So, you can use the shortcode syntax anywhere. It will work in any Cobalt template but you have to add some embed code for the syntax to be properly recognised and executed:

Thanks for clarification... I thought it would work like Nonumber.nl plugins, which work anywhere with their simple {syntax}.

BTW, I found this important performance notice:

"... The JHTML::_(‘content.prepare’) function will return the variable you pass in after filtering it through the onPrepareContent events. The simplicity of this method is very attractive for when you’re writing custom code. However, you should only use it in one or two specific places at a time. Each call to this function will trigger all of your content plugins. The more you do this, the longer it will take for Joomla to render the page. ..."

So, it might not be the best solution for calling it on many single fields, not to mention on a list view.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
17 Apr 2015 08:17

pepperstreet So, it might not be the best solution for calling it on many single fields, not to mention on a list view.

Thanks for the research pepperstreet, I wasn't aware of this.

In that case I would like to refer to https://www.easy-profile.com/docs/38-jsnuser-object.html to include profile data.

I hope Cobalt 9 will be able to incorporate any third party plugin syntax.

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
01 Oct 2015 18:25

pepperstreet BTW, you might also keep the focus on Cobalt Homepage

I bumped this topic again and because I didn't solved it yet maybe now's the time. Is "Cobalt Homepage" the page with "User Articles" as menu item type and Personalization settings in section parameters? If so is there a way to show all records in user homepage not only from one section. Does "Community integration" which is in Cobalt global configuration integrate with Cobalt Homepage?

pepperstreet VIP
01 Oct 2015 20:27

klox7 Is "Cobalt Homepage" the page with "User Articles" as menu item type and Personalization settings in section parameters?

Yes.

If so is there a way to show all records in user homepage not only from one section.

No. There is 1 "homepage" per Section.

Workarounds could be:

• show addtitional homepage links inside the user-block area. Or use a regular J! menu in homepage context.
    (which can be tricky, because of the same section menuItemID! Related topic and idea)
  • show multiple Component views / multiple homepages. See Nonumber.nl ComponentAnywhere. (might get issues with the section menu)

Does "Community integration" which is in Cobalt global configuration integrate with Cobalt Homepage?

On username, you will get a link to the user's section "homepage". Avatar settings from Cobalt global config will apply.

samjgk
Total posts: 7
04 Apr 2024 23:37

nice work.. لعبة بادل