Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
28 Oct 2013 08:30

If a category is set as "Allow to submit to this category" = No, then the category template does not count the number of articles in the category.

Category template "Cobalt7"

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Oct 2013 01:25

Should it?

Sackgesicht VIP
29 Oct 2013 01:51

Definitely.

The numbers provides information about a category. Just the fact that it is disabled for additional submission should not remove this information from the category.

Sackgesicht VIP
29 Oct 2013 15:45

When should it be used?

I would like to use it for a category, which was replaced by another category, but i still want to access the articles in the old category. It became like an "archived" category. I don't see any logical reason, why the numbers should not be displayed anymore.

Sackgesicht VIP
29 Oct 2013 18:58

(Maybe it is ommited of calculations because of performance?)

No, 1 more or less category does not make a difference....

Sergey
30 Oct 2013 01:06

But we have only method to calculate articles in current category. It means that no matter if we show or not for those categories number will be always 0.

Sackgesicht VIP
30 Oct 2013 01:10

Then i will simply not use the feature "Allow submit to category"

Sackgesicht VIP
30 Oct 2013 16:36

Current category? I thought we are talking about category-index and total-num etc. ? What did you mean by "category template" in initial post?

Right, category index and total numbers, category parameter

I just included what template i use .. (which is not really relevant )

Sergey
31 Oct 2013 01:37

It looks like I do not understand something. Because i know that you know category calculation problems and how it is done.

Sackgesicht VIP
01 Nov 2013 01:20

It looks like I do not understand something. Because i know that you know category calculation problems and how it is done.

Then most probably there is a misunderstanding here.

Scenario:

I have 21 categories and disabled 1 for submission within the category parameters, since it will not get new records anymore. Now it does not show the number of records for this category anymore. -> user might be confused, they might think there are no records, but there are some when they open the category.

For consistency, i believe it should show the numbers.

Since you explained that your computation will not include categories which have records in it but can not receive records at the moment, i just decided to enable the category again to get the number display back. The number display has more value to me than disabling the category.

It just falls under inconsistency the way data is presented. But it is not a big thing ...

"Problem" solved in not using the category feature ... :D

Sergey
05 Nov 2013 05:25

SO you have placed articles there before you disallowed to submit to this category and now there are categories but no submission allowed. Right?

Sergey
05 Nov 2013 23:10

It should still show the number of records for this category in list view, right?

Right in your case :) I can only suggest you to edit template. Search for

->params->get('submission')

and delete this condition form any IF statement.