Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
03 Jul 2013 00:22

Maybe a parameter for "Record Title Mode" -> "Autonumber" would be nice to have.

To get a sequential numbering, the number should not come from the (record) ID, it should be "autonumber" within a TYPE.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
03 Jul 2013 06:30

this is complicated issue. If you make auto-number how do you treat unpublished articles? And is numbers may be broken what is the purpose of auto numbers?

Can you example a user case?

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
03 Jul 2013 10:16

Zack has a good point. For example for intranets.

In a computer store repair using Cobalt to maintain detailled records of repair assistances.

Title could have option to not be editable and show up something like a Record Assistance Repair ID (do not confuse with Cobalt record id) that would auto-increment. Making it a text field the user has to find out which was the last ID used wich would complicate things.

Title could be used as name of person for example, but that would mean the auto-increment would have to a separate field... perhaps using digits field.

"For ticket support, specify the ID of your repair so that we can help"

Although for search purposes i don't know if it should be the title field... since it's included on the text search. I would go for the digits field to have this function.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
03 Jul 2013 19:06

Can you example a user case?

A traditional log book with a sequential control number (which serves as a "security" feature).

Implementation could be like the composite title. When creating a record, it will not display the title field for editing. When you save the record, it will check for the last used number for this type, increase it by 1 and save the record with the number as title. Edit form will not allow to edit the title.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Jul 2013 03:32

I see. thank you both for examples. Scheduled for Cobalt 9.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
05 Jul 2013 15:12

Dont know if it would be useful or not:

To allow option to specify to start from ID 100 (for example). This option i believe, would only work if the Section/Type had no records?

In case there is a transition (that requires inport) from other software to Cobalt, i believe that import has to be studied and implemented. Setting option to start from ID 100 would allow that new records could start beeing inserted and the inport from 0->99 could be arranged later.

Just a though.