Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
29 May 2013 22:15

When entering a city, it will give suggestions based on earlier entered values. Mouse clicking on suggestions is not working.

Improvements:

Please see the new google map features here

• option for "visual.refresh" in article view and map list template
  • region localization for better accuracy in geocoding for non US locations

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
30 May 2013 05:03

If you select a country first, the city lookup does not work ... it only works if no country is selected (at least her in my testing environment)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
30 May 2013 07:57

Improvements:

Please see the new google map features here

• option for "visual.refresh" in article view and map list template

Added.

Sackgesicht VIP
30 May 2013 18:22

Added

How was this added?

31 May 2013 05:40

Sergey Romanov

Added

I would also like to understand this. How can we test? what are the steps?

Sergey
31 May 2013 08:04

I though that visual.refresh already contain this feature inside somehow :)

Sackgesicht VIP
31 May 2013 10:53

For example, to use a Maps API application localized to the United Kingdom, add &region=GB to the tag as shown below:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/ https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false& ;region=GB">

Sergey
03 Jun 2013 02:07

Ok. Added. There was already language=en now I added region.

Sackgesicht VIP
06 Jun 2013 21:41

Hmm .. you implemented it based on the language. I think there would be a better approach.

Just think of english language. It will be most of the time US or GB, regardless where you are.

I see a better implementation with a field parameter for the region. If it is not selected, it can fall back to the language detection.

Like in my case it will set the parameter to GB while i would like a different region.

Think of portuguese -- it can be south america or in europe. If the search is based on the language parameter you will have a preference for europe, while your location might be in south america. With the similarity of city names, you will get a lot of wrong hits....

Sergey
07 Jun 2013 09:04

But I tage region from current language. it should always conform to what user is using. Isnt it?

Sackgesicht VIP
07 Jun 2013 09:30

Not really ...

see example of portuguese ..

or in my case, i will get GB as region ...

as mentioned .. if there is a region set in the parameter then it should take it, otherwise with no set region, use the language region as you did already ...

anyway, not sooo important ...

It was just to implement the new setting in a more precise (at least in my opinion) way

Sergey
09 Jun 2013 22:26

I think you are right. Parameter is always better. Because it gives more controll to end user.

I only think that region is going in union with language. Example I have Russian language and in parameters I set GB. How that will work? Would region be RU? And if I set RU in parameters what is my sile multilingual? Then it will set RU region for English too.

What do you think?

Sackgesicht VIP
09 Jun 2013 22:43

The region feature sets a preference for the geocoding, For a language preference there is another parameter.

See here:

Language Localization

The Google Maps API uses the browser's preferred language setting when displaying textual information such as the names for controls, copyright notices, driving directions and labels on maps. In most cases, this is preferable; you usually do not wish to override the user's preferred language setting. However, if you wish to change the Maps API to ignore the browser's language setting and force it to display information in a particular language, you can add an optional language parameter to the tag when including the Maps API JavaScript code, specifying the language to use.

Taken from the link in the initial post above.

The region setting is just a "fine tune". If you use the country select in the entry form, it will not be relevant. It only becomes relevant, when you use the geocoding without a country selector, since it will use the default preference for US.

Overall the parameter is not really soooo important. Therefore my suggestion to use it optional. If no region parameter is set in the field parameter it will just follow the default behavior .. Either get it from the language or even ignore it.

The way it is now, can be misleading (but it might only affect the geocoding in some very isolated cases) ... Not a high priority ..

Sergey
10 Jun 2013 05:37

I see. I'll change it to parameter.