Judah Raine
Total posts: 332
03 Nov 2012 11:40

Aaaaargh!! Yet again I have spent hours trying to resolve this. I have a group called Affilliates. The access level is set:

Global permissions are set:

When I go to the Cobalt global config, this is what I get:

As a result my section permissions are:

And finally the category permissions are:

Surely if the parent level is set to create, edit and delete I should be able to set it to allow or deny for the child level? Or have I finally got "computer eyes" and am missing something simple here?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Judah Raine
03 Nov 2012 11:41

As an afterthought - I have also tried setting who can moderate to affiliate, and created a moderator using a test user, but no luck ._.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Nov 2012 03:15

As I have already mentioned somewhere ACL is not supported by Cobalt. That form will have no effect. This rule table is in cobalt because we plan to implement it but it does not work.

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 04:45

Sorry, but I'm confused here.... When exploring Cobalt I found this in another topic:

Cobalt is a componet wich follows Joomla standards. You can use the Joomla ACL and as you can see in the parameters of Cobalt 7, it uses the standard like Public, Registered, Special.

But there is more. You can define "Moderators" and give them special permissions on a section by section basis.

This was, in fact, one of the prime reasons for selecting Cobalt!!! I have been a long-term supporter of Mighty Resources and am very excited about the new possibilities with Cobalt. Sadly it seems I must now choose between customization of templates and ACL? The moderator facility seems to create conflicts all of its own, e.g. I create a moderator for only one section, yet when I log in as that moderator I can also edit Joomla core content?

I love everything else about Cobalt, and your customer support is just absolutely fabulous, unlike others out there ( I am still waiting - about 2 months - for answers to pre-purchase questions from another CCK). I honestly have no desire at all to change to another CCK, and have even purchased the additional modules and fields I need, but if Cobalt does not integrate with Joomla ACL the most vital requirement of my site is missing.

I do confess that I am not anywhere near your level of experience and expertise, and that much of what I am trying to achieve is being learned as I go along, by trial and error. Can you tell me when I can expect to see the implementation as mentioned in your comment above? As things stand, I will have to put the entire website on hold unless I can find a solution.

Thank you for all your patience and help thus far.

Sergey
04 Nov 2012 04:59

I did not mean that it does not support all Joomla ACL. Only that part you mentioned in screenshots. But as you noticed it works well with accesslevels. Moderators also works.

And again although Cobalt does not support Joomla ACL fully it still very flexible in terms of settings right who can do what and so far it satisfied everyone in that regard. It allow you to configure access to articles as you want.

Also keep in mind that Joomla ACL more related to backend. And Cobalt is 80% frontend extension. In most of the cases it would have no benefit on Joomla ACL. So we provided other solutions through access-levels.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
04 Nov 2012 06:19

Judah,

if you need to integrate ACL with Cobalt, use Access Levels.

The Moderator functionality is independent from Joomla ACL. Just consider it as a different group of users where you control their access rights (edit, delete, comments etc ) per section.

In creating your Sections wisely, maybe you might even not need any ACL at all.

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 07:20

I have essentially set all the Joomla ACL to inherit, which basically gives "not allowed". I have also created the various access level groups but am still not getting anywhere, lol. Will keep trying. My moderator group, while it may essentially be a different group of users, setting the rights has no effect, e.g. they are set only to edit, but can actually delete. They can also edit / delete joomla core content. All very weird, and it will take me forever to get to the bottom of it.:D

Sergey
04 Nov 2012 07:29

I have essentially set all the Joomla ACL to inherit, which basically gives "not allowed".

Joomla global ACL rules have no impact on Cobalt.

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 07:35

Yes, you did tell me, but I thought seeing as the moderator could edit / delete core joomla content this might have an effect. It didn't, of course, and you were right, but It was just something I tried anyway for want of another bright idea in my little head :D

Sergey
04 Nov 2012 07:37

Hey! Soon you will be an expert :) And we will ask your advices :)

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 07:45

Let's hope that's before I die of old age :D (and that is still a long way away)

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 08:17

Never let it be said that I didn't provide feedback... my moderator can no longer edit or delete everything on the site. I went in desperation to site global config and set all those from inherit (not allowed) to denied and it worked. :D Now all I need to do is figure out how to make sure they can only edit.....

Judah Raine
04 Nov 2012 11:08

Here's an interesting one :D I still have the user set up as a moderator in the admin module, with only edit permission, but they could publish, edit, whatever they wanted. After wracking my brain furiously for hours, I decided to try a last ditch thing and set who can moderate on the type to no one but left the moderator still in place... guess what?? Yayyyy it worked. They now only have the edit facility. If I take them off moderator they cannot edit either, so the secret is to leave them as moderator but make who can moderate "no one". Lol, only took me all day to work that one out.:D