virtualcoyote
Total posts: 1
21 Dec 2015 05:42

Hi Folks,

I did try to find my answer in the forum first but could not piece the bits together in my head. Let me start with my head... I have been researching many and testing a few different Joomla extensions for my personal project - K2, Zoo, Seblod, Cobalt to the point my head is spinning. I get so far with each but can't seem to accomplish what I want, which seems very simple to me: using different categories/groupings, I want to create/display/edit records using various field types, excluding the core/default TITLE field. Seems this is where things get complicated for the various extensions - Title is practically a requirement and removing it seems to create other problems. So far with Cobalt I can almost see the finish line but the small details confound me.... Here's an example - I simply want to create a maintenance log of my vehicles (cars, motorcycles), so the categories (sections/types) would be Maintenence->Vehicle 1(2,3...) and the logs (records/items) would contain fields like: mileage, date serviced, service type (mulit-select)...etc. Once I master this I can extend my project for other data collection requirements.

I have reached the point where I can display the category/vehicle/records with the specific field types EXCLUDING the TITLE, however, now I can't seem to edit the records... The edit function seems to be tied to the Title field? How can I edit a record if Title is hidden?

Cobalt has an amazing amount of features/controls/parameters and it has gotten me further along than any other extension I've tried. But now I am stumped, and am considering purchasing other products from MintJoomla but the lack of screenshots/examples leaves me a bit in the dark. I think I can accomplish what I want, but would hate to purchase additional products only to find out they don't do what I was hoping.

One last thing, I really want to avoid coding if I can. I can do it but it's not something that comes easy to me. I think Cobalt can do what I want without coding, so I have presented my requirements and hope someone can tell me I am right :)

Oh, and I hope Cobalt 9 comes out soon, from what I read it sounds like it has some nice features I could use!

Thank you to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Last Modified: 22 Dec 2015

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
21 Dec 2015 07:01

Virtualcoyote,

There are several ways to accomplish what you want. I will describe briefly a possible setup:

You can organize your data with 2 sections (vehicles and maintenance) and link them together with the Relation Field.

Start creating your vehicles SECTION and a vehicle TYPE with fields describing your vehicle. Later when you encode your vehicles the title might be "Porsche 928S", then fields like Plate Number, Year, engine, etc etc .... You can use the upload, gallery or image field to add pictures or other official documents to it.

Now create your Maintenace SECTION and a maintenance TYPE with the respective fields like date, mileage, comments, etc.

Link them with the relation field. Create a parent field under the vehicle type and a child field under the maintenance type.

To enter your maintenance record, you can now search for your vehicle and press the "Add new maintenance record" button or go to the maintenance section and add a new record for your selected vehicle.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
22 Dec 2015 04:22

virtualcoyote I have reached the point where I can display the category/vehicle/records with the specific field types EXCLUDING the TITLE, however, now I can't seem to edit the records... The edit function seems to be tied to the Title field? How can I edit a record if Title is hidden?

Hello virtualcoyote, how did you hide the title?
In your Type parameters -> Article Title -> Record title mode No Title
As far as I can tell, this option removes the title from output. Usually the control-icons/actions are located near the title. They are not removed through this feature. You should be able to "hover" over the record or title area, and the respective button-group should appear. Including the edit menu entry.

controls_button_group

controls_dropdown_menu

BTW, I have noticed a small "bug" and difference in the default Blog template. The title does not hide?!

FYI, do you know about the Composite Title feature?
It allows to create your own title out of your field values and some other values.
See parameter Composite title mask and its tooltip:

type_composite_title_tooltip

Hope this helps.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
22 Dec 2015 09:01

virtualcoyote I have reached the point where I can display the category/vehicle/records with the specific field types EXCLUDING the TITLE, however, now I can't seem to edit the records... The edit function seems to be tied to the Title field? How can I edit a record if Title is hidden?

What records list tenplate you are using?

virtualcoyote One last thing, I really want to avoid coding if I can. I can do it but it's not something that comes easy to me. I think Cobalt can do what I want without coding, so I have presented my requirements and hope someone can tell me I am right :)

Depending on what you call coding. To create really appealing website you will have to work with templates and change some HTML/CSS which is partily mixed with PHP.

I do not think you will need skill to code in pure pHP but if you can separate PHP block from HTML in the code that skill would come in handy.