Giorgi625 VIP
Total posts: 655
27 Sep 2015 19:56

Hello I want to make site like mydramalist.com. For community I use Easysocial, for forum EasyDiscuss, for blog Easyblog, for comments Komento. Now I need to chose Component for Movies and Actors Catalog, and I think of K2 or Cobalt. I have worked with K2 before and I know it can handle the job what I need, but I will need to add some 3rd party extensions to make it like on mydramalist. But I have not worked on Cobalt yet and please tell me if I can make Movie database like on mydramalist?

Most important is 1. to have reviews with multiple rating criterias, 2. to be able to have relations between movies and persons, to show who plays in current movie or, in which movies has played current actor or so like it is in mydramalist. 3. users must be able to add movies to lists in their profiles like: watched, plan to watch, currently watching and so on.

So do you recommend to use Cobalt for this job?

Last Modified: 16 Oct 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
29 Sep 2015 01:26

Hello Georgi625,

Giorgi625 For community I use Easysocial, for forum EasyDiscuss, for blog Easyblog, for comments Komento.

I would checkout the free Cobalt download and general "compatibility" first.
You are using a lot of specialized extensions, and I guess they make use of "Bootstrap v3" CSS, and probably JS.

Another crucial part is your template/framework. Which one do you use or prefer? Make sure it runs smooth with all extensions... at least find out, if customization and fixes are easy to manage.

PS: Don't get me wrong here:
Cobalt is major and stable, but due to Joomla!3, other extensions and mixed CSS frameworks... it might produce issues. To fix any potential issues, you need to know the extensions and Joomla very well.

1. to have reviews with multiple rating criterias,

Yes. Possible.

1. to be able to have relations between movies and persons, to show who plays in current movie or, in which movies has played current actor or so like it is in mydramalist.

Yes. Cobalt has Relations field for Parent/Child relations.

1. users must be able to add movies to lists in their profiles like: watched, plan to watch, currently watching and so on.

Cobalt has a favourite/bookmark feature. This is only 1 list.
Currently, there is no feature for multiple lists. (extended features are planned for Cobalt v9)

There is a special feature "Re-Post on my homepage", but it does not allow to categorize a record in a user-category.

Quick thought: Since you use Easy-Social it might be possible to create a solution based on "Apps" and "Template Overrides"!?

Recommendation? Yes and No ;) Cobalt's relation, review/ratings and templating is great. No doubt, you would have to learn Cobalt's features and versatile template capabilities to get best results. There are probably other "Directory style" extensions, which might be easier and simpler "out-of-the-box". But Cobalt has also many "unique" functions.

So, it is pretty hard to give a 100% advice in one direction. Let's put it this way: Cobalt is very capable for many complex use-cases. You have to tryout and learn Cobalt to get a better personal experience and opinion.

Hope this helps... for the time being.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Sep 2015 12:00

Giorgi625 be able to have relations between movies and persons

Еруку is relation but there is no connection tag. You cannot set how one article relate to another. In other owrds you can set that Tom Cruise play in Mission Impossible but you cannot set that he plied Ethan Hant. There is Actors and Movies but every connection have different meaning.

Giorgi625 VIP
30 Sep 2015 10:07

Sergey

Giorgi625 be able to have relations between movies and persons

Еруку is relation but there is no connection tag. You cannot set how one article relate to another. In other owrds you can set that Tom Cruise play in Mission Impossible but you cannot set that he plied Ethan Hant. There is Actors and Movies but every connection have different meaning.

Ok, but is it possible to group relations like main role, supporting role, guest role and director? or make multiple relations separately for that groups

Sergey
30 Sep 2015 13:28

That is what i am saying. It is connection description or relation tag. This is not supported.

You can go sort of this thing with fields group but you will have multiple child fields each in each group. So you will have group actors, director, ... but those will be fixed groups. You cannot create new group during connection.

Giorgi625 VIP
13 Oct 2015 14:04

Sergey That is what i am saying. It is connection description or relation tag. This is not supported.

You can go sort of this thing with fields group but you will have multiple child fields each in each group. So you will have group actors, director, ... but those will be fixed groups. You cannot create new group during connection.

I was just surfing of forum and found roadmapd of Cobalt 9 and there was linked this topic: http://www.mintjoomla.com/support/community-forum/user-item/4279-jeby/48-cobalt-8/5187-extra-field-explaining-relation-between-records.html

How I guess it is what I need when I will relate actors to movies to show which actor has main role and which supporting. Am I right?

Giorgi625 VIP
13 Oct 2015 14:08

I read you answers in that post, and have one question: If I will use now Cobalt 8 for my movies and actors but without relations, and when Cobalt 9 will come out will I be able to update it to Cobalt 9 and then add relation field of version 9 and do as I want? Do you recommend me to start adding records now so I will have ready content when Coblat 9 will be ready or wait until release date of Cobalt 9?

Giorgi625 VIP
13 Oct 2015 14:18

I have also one question for this moment and will ask it here, don't want to open new topic. In joomla event components all events are automaticaly closed when event date passes. Is it possible to do so in cobalt if I use date and time field?

Sergey
13 Oct 2015 21:00

Update to Cobalt 9 should not be an issue. But ther is no plan for relation tag feature in Cobalt 9.

Giorgi625 In joomla event components all events are automaticaly closed when event date passes. Is it possible to do so in cobalt if I use date and time field?

I cannot get exactly what oyu ask, but cobalt can allow you to set start and end date and article vil not be visible if you want when it expires. Is that what you mean?

Giorgi625 VIP
15 Oct 2015 13:14

Sergey

Giorgi625 In joomla event components all events are automaticaly closed when event date passes. Is it possible to do so in cobalt if I use date and time field?

I cannot get exactly what oyu ask, but cobalt can allow you to set start and end date and article vil not be visible if you want when it expires. Is that what you mean?

Yes I know that Cobalt has publish and unpublish dates fields, but I want different. For example: I want to use field date & time, where I will type date and time of event and when this date comes this event must be closed automaticaly. I will need to use date & time for event date so if I will use Cobalts default unpublish date field for record unpublish user will need to type date two times for event and for unpublish date. I hope I have explaind what I need. I saw that there is "Auto expire in days" option so I will use this option if it is not possible to use exact event date as record unpublish date.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Oct 2015 20:58

Giorgi625 I will need to use date & time for event date so if I will use Cobalts default unpublish date field for record unpublish user will need to type date two times for event and for unpublish date.

The Date&Time field can override the Cobalt default core dates! So, date input happens only once ;)

cob_field_datetime_params_override_core_dates

I saw that there is "Auto expire in days" option so I will use this option if it is not possible to use exact event date as record unpublish date.

This is an alternative method that might work as well. Depends on your use case and workflow.