gteigland VIP
Total posts: 159
30 Mar 2016 14:17

I understand that Emerald does not have this function but I'm asking if you or someone you know would be willing to do this for a cost and I'm willing to donate this plugin to the Emerald Community.

1. I have a client that needs to limit the devices for a subscriber that can have membership into the site.

2. Bascially they want to allow to access points (device wise) for each subscriber. So they could access the site from a desktop and then their mobile device. (ipad or iphone). Currently they want to limit this to 2 devices per subscriber.

3. They are concerned with users sharing account but giving away the login and password to other users so by limiting devices will stop this kind of abuse.

4. So my thought was to limit access by MAC Address. So when logging in the system it would check he MAC address of the device to allow login matching it with login name.

I'm open to other suggestions if there is a better/easier way to do this.

Thanks! Gene

Last Modified: 19 Apr 2016

gteigland VIP
30 Mar 2016 14:42

The other thought is can we implement a cookie for each device they approve instead of using MAC address? So each subscriber gets two cookies to attach to each device. Obviously there are more thoughts as it relates to when they want to use or get a new device but just trying to get a starting point.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
31 Mar 2016 13:00

It is impossible to get MAC address in PHP. Ther is no way. So cookie might be the only options.

It is hard for me to imagine how that can work. How technicaly would be possible to disable subscrption if user access from other device (cookie). Also cookies can be cleaned. It is not very relaible.

gteigland VIP
31 Mar 2016 14:48

ok thanks. I'll do some more digging and respond here if anything is figured out.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Apr 2016 15:55

Note that Joomla most probably have double login protection plugin. This is very good one. Because if you cannot login after someone else logged it, you most probably will not share your login. There are also IP based login protections. Just search JED.

baijianpeng VIP
Total posts: 239
18 Apr 2016 01:09

Yes, Joomla has a plugin for "single login".

I found following statement when I search on Google:

If you want to use the MAC for identification, then don't bother - it won't do what you want most of the time, and it is spectacularly simple to spoof. And there is also the fun that they aren't necessarily unique - just unique within the LAN segment...

It seems that MAC address is NOT unique, NOT good for identification.

gteigland VIP
19 Apr 2016 13:11

ok great thanks!!