Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
12 Jun 2013 10:06

The import feature from CSV or JSON is ready. i need testers. Please in the comments leaf your emails in private text block I'll send you early build with import.

Last Modified: 27 Jul 2015

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
13 Jun 2013 14:49

Where is the import feature ?!?! Can´t see anything… Expected it in "Tools"

Yes, took me a while also to find it .. go to menus and create a new menu item -- import ...

but as of now it will not work (at least here), since the sql update script to create a needed table was not included.

Sackgesicht VIP
13 Jun 2013 15:30

But... a frontend Menu-Item ?!?

At first i had the same thoughts and actually i expected it also under "tools" .. but the longer i think about it, the more i like the approach .

I always wanted to get away from the backend .. lets just see how it evolves. Sort of manual synchronization, etc ...

At this early stage we can influence the way import will be done. at least this is what i hope .. hahaha

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
13 Jun 2013 15:38

Import from the front-end is not really a bad though.

The most important issue from my point of view is that it can be used also by the users to import records by themselfs, although if it goes that way i hope there are option to limit how many import records are allowed so that there are no problems with server hardware use.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
13 Jun 2013 23:09

Sackgesicht

Check if you have a table #__js_res_import_rows.

You are right, it is missing :(

Do you know if this is a universal import feature?

Sackgesicht VIP
14 Jun 2013 07:06

What field types will be NOT supported?

Sergey
14 Jun 2013 07:27

What field types will be NOT supported?

I do not know yet. GEO seams complicated. It have to contain data in special format and field have to understand where is lat, lng, address and so on.

Telephone is also complicated. it is hard to separate field into parts. The telephon should be in special format in order to be imported like

+countrycode[telephone]#[extension]

URL and Video also looks specific.

Fields like register, read also, records, parent, child are not going too.

All fields with files (image, gallery, uploads,..) are ok. Y can read instruction in import page. There have to be file packed with this name and few files have to be separated by coma.

All other fields looks like will work good.

Sackgesicht VIP
14 Jun 2013 22:30

parent, child are not going too

I would consider them quite important, since the source of the csv import might be different tables from other databases/applications.

Since parent does not store anything in Cobalt, it is not needed to be treated for input.

But think of following scenario, which would help import parent/child field:

CSV 1 contains a column which would be considered the parent field (most probably a unique number from an external database like ID) for TYPE 1.

CSV 2 contains a column child for TYPE 2, which holds the value from TYPE 1 parent field.

Mandatory requirement is to import first CSV1 with parent field.

The parent field will be created as a text field first in cobalt (just to hold the info first).

When importing CSV2 with child, you query for the parent field field_value in #__js_res_record_values from TYPE1, get the record_id and uses this as the field_value of child field in TYPE2.

After the import the temporary text (parent) field in TYPE 1 can be deleted or you keep it as an "invisible" reference field for future imports of the same type.

Sackgesicht VIP
15 Jun 2013 02:52

One of the things to request, after the core functionality is established, would be:

-- automated import from a (cron job) watch folder

Sackgesicht VIP
15 Jun 2013 03:19

To create some data from existing Cobalt/Might Resources for import testing, use following SQL queries:

1) Get the title from a section (replace xxxx with database prefix and use respective section_id)

SELECT

title AS `Title`

FROM

xxxx_js_res_record a

WHERE

section_id = 1

2) add a second column (text field)

SELECT

title AS `Title`,

(

SELECT field_value

FROM

xxxx_js_res_record_values

WHERE

field_id = 1

AND record_id = a.id

) AS `Text Field`

FROM

xxxx_js_res_record a

WHERE

section_id = 1

3) add another column - child record

(

SELECT

title

FROM

xxxx_js_res_record

WHERE

id = (

SELECT

field_value

FROM

xxxx_js_res_record_values

WHERE

field_id = 25

AND record_id = a.id

)

) AS `Child Record`

and so on ... :D

dlbass93 VIP
Total posts: 44
15 Jun 2013 10:02

I've tried everything I have thought of, which hasn't been much, and it will not let me click next after selecting my CSV. Is it still not yet working for everyone else as well? My version number says 8.227

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Jun 2013 11:43

I do not know yet. GEO seams complicated.

I think, at least "Address" data is important for many users. Since Cobalt has this multi-data location field, it seems obvious to support it as well...

Maybe explain and describe the special format before import? So, the import file already has this format.

(Personally, i tend to use single fields. We already had some discussions about separate fields and utilize that data in location field. That was possible in ME Resources and i liked it)

Sackgesicht VIP
15 Jun 2013 16:17

Derrick,

this version can not import. A database table is missing (#__js_res_umport_rows). I created the missing table myself and it will import the csv into the table, but then there are new problems coming up. It seems not all needed info (by a later query) was inserted by the insert query (section_id and user_id).

Better we wait for a new installer ...

Sackgesicht VIP
15 Jun 2013 16:23

@pepperstreet

Yes the geo field should be there as well. I have quite a good idea how to solve this (even with geo coding and reverse geo coding as optional helpers to make it more sophisticated than ordinary field to field matching).

Lets see first how the core import will work and then discuss the "refinements".

Sergey
17 Jun 2013 01:13

A database table is missing (#__js_res_umport_rows).

It should be there in last file I sent.

A database table is missing (#__js_res_umport_rows).

Is it still not yet working for everyone else as well?

Please check id table #__js_res_import* was created.

Sackgesicht VIP
17 Jun 2013 02:04

Sackgesicht VIP
17 Jun 2013 06:29

GEO seams complicated. It have to contain data in special format and field have to understand where is lat, lng, address and so on.

How about a drag and drop matching.

Cobalt TYPE fields which store more information will be displayed as accordion. When opening

the accordion all individual geo fields (same info as in an entry form) are displayed as drop container and on the other side all fields from CSV can be dragged to match with the destination field (or subfield in case of a GEO field). Then it will processed the same way as edit or create the record.

See example:

Sackgesicht VIP
17 Jun 2013 23:08

it is even can update old records and save configuration. So next time you upload CSV only price or availability will be updated for all products for example.

How about updating already existing records?

Updating/Synchronizing based on a unique field content.

Example: I have a type with a unique titel and this titel is also part of the CSV fields, the import will just update the selected fields.

Same should be possible if i have a field in the type which is considered unique, like serial number.

Sackgesicht VIP
17 Jun 2013 23:11

Important part of import would be an import log file for checking/error messages or in case of updating records a "compare" log. (remember my excel import logs when we imported files)

Sergey
18 Jun 2013 03:02

Yes this will work. When you import the same CSV second time it wil update all old records. It saved ID field of CSV and IDs conversion array. So next import it updates old records and insert new.

How about a drag and drop matching.

D&D is good. I think it is best for usability. But right now i want to accomplish main process and later I may advance UI. But Idea is good. I understood princip. Every field have to draw it's own form. I'll make that change. Not D&D but basically the same idea.

Sackgesicht VIP
18 Jun 2013 04:27

Initial Commnets:

1) add additional column "imported" in #__js_res_import_rows which will be set after final import to make sure it was really imported and not stopped at step 2

2) Option to cancel at step 2 (maybe user is confused or not sure) which will result in deletion of the import records from step 1

3) Do we need CTIME in associate fields? The import should set it

4) textarea field type should be also available, since text is there already

Every field have to draw it's own form. I'll make that change. Not D&D but basically the same idea.

Yes same as it is now would be good enough.. just a select box which will offer all import fields from csv,