JeBy VIP
Total posts: 10
08 Jan 2015 18:08

Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to set up an autocomplete Search module to find records? Meaning:

When the user types "RECORD TI" I want a dropdown to show:

RECORD TITLE\n\n RECORD TITLE 2\n\n THE RECORD TITLE\n\n etc.

I've read that there is something called the "Finder" included in Cobalt but I have had no luck finding it! Apparently it supports the default Joomla Smart Search Module? The only thing I have found is the Plugin "Search - Cobalt" which I can obviously not put anywhere as it is not a module.

Thanks ahead!

JB

Last Modified: 10 Jan 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
09 Jan 2015 03:57

Hello JeBy,

SmartSearch (aka Finder)

JeBy Apparently it supports the default Joomla Smart Search Module?

There is also a plugin called Smart Search - Cobalt. Just search your joomla plugin manager for "Smart" or "Smart Search"... Then activate it. (Consider to deactivate all other unnecessary smart search plugins, if you want to focus on Cobalt records/articles and its categories)

The SmartSeach/Finder input field has a "suggestions" feature. But remember, if you choose a "suggestion" and fire the search, the results are shown in a special results list. This list might not look very sleek out-of-the-box... also you have to click on the result-item link to get to the actual Cobalt content. So, there is some extra effort and step for the user.

The only thing I have found is the Plugin "Search - Cobalt" which I can obviously not put anywhere as it is not a module.

All J! search plugins display results through their respective module and/or a MenuItemType. You have to create and configure the module/menuitems accordingly. See module manager -> New -> Search / SmartSearch, See YourMenu -> Add new MenuItem -> Search / SmartSearch

Suggestion and better UX

You might try a 3rdParty Ajax Search extension. Benefit: The suggestioned link re-directs to Cobalt item directly!

• Universal AJAX Live Search by Offlajn
    (Should display thumbnail image. Not sure if they updated the Cobalt plugin?! for proper display. Remember it worked, but without images. Please ask their support. Hence, they use an extra ScriptLibrary called Dojo)
  • RokAJAX Search by RocketThemes
    (still related to MooTools, but works pretty good)
  • WARP7 powered templates by Yootheme
    (should work as default J! search module override. But I could not get any results with it!?)
  • PixSearch by PixProLabs
    (advertized as J! 3.x compatible, but I get a messed up and incomplete module parameter page. Couldn't get any support answers.)

All solutions require and work with the Cobalt Search plugin. So, do not forget to activate and configure it!

Cobalt Advanced Search and Filters

BTW, do you really need the global search input? Did you notice the advanced search and module with its filters? Filters have also different display styles. You also have "total number" of results before the user makes any search attempt. IMHO much better than a simple search input ;)

JeBy VIP
Total posts: 10
09 Jan 2015 21:57

Thank you so much for your elaborate reply pepperstreet!

I checked them all out, and I was doubting between RokAJAX Search and PixSearch as they are free. I figured I can just code and design the results as how I want to make them look like the first one you suggested (Universal AJAX Live Search). I ended up picking RokAJAX Search as PixSearch uses a really strange templating system where the template is stored in cache files? Never seen that before!

RokAJAX Search is still really complicated in how it templates the module (All through Javascript), but I'm stripping it down to make it more simple and rebuild it with Bootstrap elements to make it look slick!

Thanks again!

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Jan 2015 00:14

JeBy Thank you so much for your elaborate reply pepperstreet!

You are welcome! Glad I could help out.

I figured I can just code and design the results as how I want to make them look like the first one you suggested (Universal AJAX Live Search).

Universal AJAX Live Search seems to have many advanced options, incl. the extra module for Search results. Interesting approach and display possibilities. IMHO the drawback is "Dojo", and it feels somewhat overloaded.

RokAJAX Search is still really complicated in how it templates the module (All through Javascript), but I'm stripping it down to make it more simple and rebuild it with Bootstrap elements to make it look slick!

Good to know. I did not have a deeper look under the hood. Just a selfish comparison between required script libraries and easy setup. Hope they are going to convert it to jQuery soon.

AFAIK, RokAJAX can be completely re-styled with CSS. I like the option to disable the build-in lite/dark CSS.