chambersc VIP
Total posts: 37
07 Mar 2015 16:43

If a user choses to pay using PayPal, how can I get Emerald to add on the Paypal fees (20p plus 1.45% of subscription fee) onto the standard subscription fee?

In hikashop, etc. you can configure the PayPal gateway for the PayPal fee charges.

Last Modified: 26 Aug 2022

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
08 Mar 2015 03:40

You mean taxes? In Emerald taxes are calculated later after purchase. It does not add on top of subscription fee because it is not common practice. Usually subscription price is listed including tax. So whatever is your tax in Emerald tax manager, it will by applied to subscription so that plan price + tax will be calculated to the plan total in plan parameters.

chambersc VIP
08 Mar 2015 12:35

I do not mean tax.

PayPal charges us for every purchase transaction which is carried out through PayPal. As we are a charity they charg 20 pence plus 1.45% of the tranaction amount (i.e. the member subscription amount).

We want to recover this fee from the member, so if the subscription fee is £36, we need to add on (£0.20 + (0.0145£36.00)) and pass £36.72 to the PayPAl payment gateway. If the subscription fee is £34.20 then we need to add on (£0.20 = (0.0145£32.40)) and pass on £33.07 to the payPal payment gateway.

Therfore, your PayPal plugin needs to have two fields where the user can enter the fixed and percentage variables which can then be used to calculate the PayPal transaction fee which is then to be added to the subscription fee to give the total amount to be charged to the member and passed to PayPal for payment. This is how it was done in AkeebaSubs and in Hikashop.

Sergey
09 Mar 2015 08:44

Just calculate the final cost of your subscription and make it price of the plan. If you want to have 34 then male plan price 37. After all changes tou will get your 36.

But there is no way to add something to the final price of the plan.

chambersc VIP
09 Mar 2015 17:39

Although that might work, it is not a workable solution as they have the choice of a number of payment methods and it is only if they choose to use PayPay that the PayPAl fees need to be added on. If you want Emerald to be a market leading solution then you need to incorporate the feature descibed as it is in the other available systems (AkeebaSubs, HikaShop, OSE, etc.

Sergey
10 Mar 2015 02:30

Paypal parameter have property Tax. this adds value to the core plan price. But it adds it uner tax description. It will add fixed sum not a rate.

I checked PayPal parameters that I might pass to PP but I could not find anything that would add PayPal fees to transaction amount.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/Appx_websitestandard_htmlvariables/#id08A6HF080O3

chambersc VIP
10 Mar 2015 17:11

The other systems calculate the paypal fees (based on your fixed and variable transaction fee rates) then add to the base subscription and then pass total amount to PP. It s preferable it is claear to the user that all we are doing is pasing the paypal fee onto them and not charging a "tax"

Sergey
11 Mar 2015 01:24

From user perspective that would be hard to see during the payment that you pass fees. You only seetotal amount and you only have a confusion why the price is higher then in the price list. Or you mean enother line in payment details on p[lan confirmation page?

Also it is common in internet that payment transaction's fees on seller. It has always been this way. Even in supermarket. No one surprise that you have to pay a little bit more of the price tag. All fees and taxes are included into final price.

Emerald do not even have an interface where Payment Gateway can affect plan price. It only receive final amount and redirects user to payment gateway.

What I am trying to say that right now even technicaly it is trivial task. I might consider this for Emerald 10 but I cannot add it to Emerald 9.

Will you be ok with that?

chambersc VIP
13 Mar 2015 08:52

Both AkeebaSubs and Hikashop show the normal price and any surcharge for paying by credit card/PayPal to the user before the total amount is passed to PayPal (or equivalent). It is important to be as transparent to the buyer as possible the surcharge they would pay for using a particular payment method, as it will affect how certain people will pay. I am using Emerald for a non-profit making charity (Scouts) and some parents need to very carefully manage their money.

For the moment I have hand calculated the fees for each subscription rate and put it in the taxes field and used language overide's to chnage the descripot to PayPal fees. It will do as a temporoary workaround. However, I really think this should be built into the package as all the other's I have used do this.

Will I have to pay again for Emerald 10, as this comes out of my personal pocket as I am doing it for a non-profit makig charity run by non-paid volunteers.

Sergey
17 Mar 2015 06:30

chambersc Will I have to pay again for Emerald 10, as this comes out of my personal pocket as I am doing it for a non-profit makig charity run by non-paid volunteers.

If you will have active subscription by the time Emerald 10 is out, you will get it for free.

chambersc However, I really think this should be built into the package as all the other's I have used do this.

How it is now this is most transparent way. The price of subscription is $10 - means you will pay $10 and not more. If I add somethign like payment transaction calculation, then, for transparency, price should be something like $10 + ($2-$3.45 transaction fee depending on payemnt method)

Another problem is that there are different transaction fees. Depends on the type of your account, country, ... SO parameters somehow have to describe how gateway add fees.

chambersc For the moment I have hand calculated the fees for each subscription rate and put it in the taxes field and used language overide's to chnage the descripot to PayPal fees.

This is how I would do it. I do not think it is temporary, it is how that parameter is intended to be used.

killersmile
Total posts: 121
26 Aug 2022 12:39

Interesting site i love it keep posting more! shed builder