• Home
  • Support
  • Forum
  • Cobalt 8
  • Can Cobalt be used to develop a type of ERP function to control a product directory, messaging, ordering and API function.

webshack360
Total posts: 2
07 Dec 2014 16:53

I would like to find out if you think this application can be achieved with Cobalt and by developing a few add-ons for the Cobalt function. I understand Cobalt can be used to develop a custom product directory. I would like to take this a little further… I’m developing a website to do with the Furniture industry. I want frontend users to be able to build complex products and then assign the order to a local dealer.

Complex Product Example- Sofa: view thousands of different fabrics from a manufacturer and then choose 1 or many for different parts of a sofa. Choose arm style, choose number of pillows and assign fabric to each pillow, choose woof finish, etc. I need to be able to build a product with many different options. I will have many different user profiles, each one with its own set of access rights and who they can connect to for the bases of sending messages to each other. Example: a manufacturer cannot connect with a sales associate at a dealer store.

A basic financial and ordering section where a registered buyer can review orders. Dealers can assign orders to their sales staff and can review sales information. An API function when I can generate a code to give to a furniture dealer. The code will allow the product directory to be place on their website. It will isolate and only display the manufactures and specific products that, that furniture dealer carries at their store.

If successful I will have about 1-2 million listed product entries.

This is a just a very broad overview of the 4 main functions: product directory, messaging, ordering and API function.

Please let me know if this is possible with Cobalt and if there are any developers who would be interested in some freelance work in assisting me with my project- creating custom fields, functions, etc.

Last Modified: 09 Dec 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
08 Dec 2014 08:53

I do not think CObalt is ready for that. Even with custom fileds, it is still complicated task. There is very little in cobalt that you can utilize in your project. You have to develop so much more, that difference is small if just delop everything.

And even if you manage to develop everythiung with Cobalt 1-2 millions sre defenitely not numbers Cobalt can support.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
09 Dec 2014 03:29

FYI - Recently I came across the following solution, powered by Drupal. Maybe worth to have a look at it...

webshack360
Total posts: 2
09 Dec 2014 12:39

Thank you VERY MUCH for the feedback! I have not considered Drupal I will take a look at Drupal and Erpal. Thank you!!