bsalamakha
Total posts: 2
23 Oct 2014 16:08

Greetings.

I am looking to create a site where people can make records with attached images and documents but these records are only available to select groups/users.

For example lets say we have these people: bob, joe, john, kyle. I would need Bob to be able to upload records with images and documents but be able to choose to whom that record will be only viewable by. So if Bob chooses that record1 is only viewable by john then only john can view and access the record with or without the permission to modify. Likewise Joe and kyle have no access to that record nor can they even see that it exists unless Bob specifically grants them access to that section.

Basically, there will be alot of permissions. How flexible is Cobalt with permissions?

1. Could the file upload be either from local hard drive or server hard drive?
  2. Can the permissions be set at a section level? Or is it catagory?
  3. Will Cobalt work with other 3rd party extensions that process PDF files? For example attach a PDF created by Phoca PDF that is on the server to a newly created record.

From my reading and practicing with Cobalt it looks like this is achievable with enough work. Can you give me some insight on whether this is possible?

I understand this will not be out-the-box functionality.

Thank you very much and I look forward to doing business.

Last Modified: 28 Oct 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Oct 2014 02:07

bsalamakha Could the file upload be either from local hard drive or server hard drive?

Yes from local, Yes from server if you open server drive as local in file navigator. If you mean to poin to file already uploaded, then no.

bsalamakha Can the permissions be set at a section level? Or is it catagory?

Yes at section level and level of content type too.

bsalamakha Will Cobalt work with other 3rd party extensions that process PDF files? For example attach a PDF created by Phoca PDF that is on the server to a newly created record.

Cobalt can upload PDF files for sure. To attach document it have to be downloaded first. But of course if you create special field, you may simply select PDF from the list, and only your PDFs if it is needed.

bsalamakha Can you give me some insight on whether this is possible?

To post for other users, may it is even possible out of the box. I did not tested it but it may work. Cobalt may allow you to post article on the timelines of others. So if timelines are private and you post for someone, then it should be accessible only be that one.

But this scenarion was not tested. Perhaps will require only some tiny adjustments.

bsalamakha
Total posts: 2
24 Oct 2014 17:51

Hey Sergey,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I've read plenty of reviews on how powerful Cobalt can be in the right hands.

Do you know of any certain guides or tutorials for Cobalt that will lead me into the right direction?

Also, is it possible to display and style data from a database onto the front end with create, read, update, and delete permissions to certain users?

Thank you!

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
28 Oct 2014 02:46

bsalamakha Do you know of any certain guides or tutorials for Cobalt that will lead me into the right direction?

There is a youtube playlist here.

bsalamakha Also, is it possible to display and style data from a database onto the front end with create, read, update, and delete permissions to certain users?

Ыщьу user restrictions are possible but you need to be more specific. Is it group of the users of moderators. Or those are article authors? And what is "style data from database"?