pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
30 Sep 2014 16:20

Can't recreate your issue. Tested with latest Cobalt and J!3.3.5

nwrightau the rest just ignore the set menu ID

• Where did you set the ItemID? Did you change the ID in the URL manually?
    (By default, ItemID is taken from your section!)

• Do you want a different ItemID for each category?
    (You may set it here -> Sections -> Categories -> Your Category -> General -> menu ID (Itemid) target

• If you do NOT want different ID's, you may also use the Module "Categories", default layout.
    If necessary, it is also possible to load a module it in your main menu. By override, or 3rd party stuff.

pepperstreet VIP
30 Sep 2014 16:25

BTW, external menuItem type does not support J! core SEF URL (Alias). But there are some possible workarounds for it.

nwrightau VIP
Total posts: 99
01 Oct 2014 23:29

pepperstreet Can't recreate your issue. Tested with latest Cobalt and J!3.3.5

nwrightau the rest just ignore the set menu ID

• Where did you set the ItemID? Did you change the ID in the URL manually?

(By default, ItemID is taken from your section!)

• Do you want a different ItemID for each category?

(You may set it here -> Sections -> Categories -> Your Category -> General -> menu ID (Itemid) target

• If you do NOT want different ID's, you may also use the Module "Categories", default layout.

If necessary, it is also possible to load a module it in your main menu. By override, or 3rd party stuff.

Category URLs were external url joomla menu items [very clunky process].

Every menu item needs to display like any other Joomla component would, if there is a menu item created for a category then the menu / url should reflect that.

/section/category/item-name

Cobalt seems very complex to get something this basic right. I'm still confused why literally the first category works and the others don't , same settings as far as I can tell.

pepperstreet VIP
02 Oct 2014 00:20

nwrightau [very clunky process].

Agree. This "issue" has been discussed a lot. Never understood the reasons 100% ... I think it was a mixture of performance/multi-categorization. It seems to reduce the DB queries and speeds up SEF URL building.

Bottomline: You have to deal with that external MenuItem, if you really want to use a core J! menuItem type.

Actually you don´t have to. See my previous comments about categories-module. It can easily serve as a secondary menu.

Benefits:

• Dynamic Category display (hide if empty!)
  • Show/hide SubCategories
  • show record/item count (total#)
  • include single records (optional)
  • respects different target ItemID from category parameters (optional)

May I ask, why you have to create those category links as separate menuItems?

Every menu item needs to display like any other Joomla component would, if there is a menu item created for a category then the menu / url should reflect that.
/section/category/item-name

Also had my complaints and questions about the "fixed URL parts" in default SEF router:

If you really want to customize the URLs, you might have luck with:

• modify default Cobalt SEF router
  • MijoSEF + respective Cobalt addon

Related Docs