nwrightau VIP
Total posts: 99
25 Sep 2014 07:49

Using the related items field, we're unable to select items that are in another section - is there any way around this? Or can we put everything in a wrapper section so everything can be related?

Thanks

Last Modified: 27 Sep 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
25 Sep 2014 22:57

nwrightau Using the related items field, we're unable to select items that are in another section

What is related Items? You mean Read Also field?

Actually yes, you can select items from any other type. (incl. current) In field parameters "Form Control" You have to define which types are allowed.

If some records are not selectable, you may check the two parameters for "user restriction". Maybe your user/ACL can't see the other records from type-B.

It is also possible to use Relation fields (Parent/Child). Different setup, different parameters. Includes frontend AJAX mode for adding existing and attaching new records.

nwrightau Or can we put everything in a wrapper section so everything can be related?

Depends on your application and use case... but in general: Yes, you may use 1 section. A Cobalt section allows multiple types! And you may restrict submission to certain categories accordingly.

nwrightau VIP
25 Sep 2014 23:43

pepperstreet

nwrightau Using the related items field, we're unable to select items that are in another section

What is realted Items? You mean Read Also field?

Actually yes, you can select items from any other type. (incl. current) In field parameters "Form Control" You have to define which types are allowed.

If some records are not selectable, you may check the two parameters for "user restriction". Maybe your user/ACL can't see the other records from type-B.

It is also possible to use Relation fields (Parent/Child). Different setup, different parameters. Includes frontend AJAX mode for adding existing and attaching new records.

nwrightau Or can we put everything in a wrapper section so everything can be related?

Depends on your application and use case... but in general: Yes, you may use 1 section. A Cobalt section allows multiple types! And you may restrict submission to certain categories accordingly.

Yes read also field, sorry about that. Types are not the problem, it appears that we can't select records that are in a different section.

pepperstreet VIP
26 Sep 2014 00:14

So, you have selected multiple types in field parameters...

Did you try different selection styles in parameter How to chose related records:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-26 um 02.12.10

Any differences?

PS: I remember, one of the styles had this issue in the past, but it has been fixed.

pepperstreet VIP
26 Sep 2014 00:32

@Sergey

Problem confirmed!

Tested with registered user and superAdmin.

• The record selection seems to be restricted to the curent section/type only!? This happens in ALL selection styles/layouts.
  • Also found 1 additional issue: The PopUp/Modal style lists the current record, too. It should be excluded.

BTW, what should happen if I set "Not user strict for" to No one? AFAIK the parameter sets the ACL, which has NO restrictions at all. Right? But what means "No one has no restrictions": Show any record to anyone? Currently it shows nothing.

The current test reminded me on my topic about "Field - Read Also - exclude current type". I tried different searches and terms but can't find it. Please, consider this as another "issue". I still think that it should be possible to exclude the current type records! It should not be a default. I see no reason to force this behavior, if I just want to link to OTHER types.

nwrightau VIP
26 Sep 2014 02:13

That's correct, ours is setup using the auto complete one though. Any idea when this can be fixed? Happy to fund it's completion we need it urgently.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
26 Sep 2014 02:42

pepperstreet BTW, what should happen if I set "Not user strict for" to No one? AFAIK the parameter sets the ACL, which has NO restrictions at all. Right? But what means "No one has no restrictions": Show any record to anyone? Currently it shows nothing.

No user restrict = no one will restrict by user for everyone. It means that everyone will see in the list only their own articles.

pepperstreet

Problem confirmed!

Tested with registered user and superAdmin.

• The record selection seems to be restricted to the curent section/type only!? This happens in ALL selection styles/layouts.
  • Also found 1 additional issue: The PopUp/Modal style lists the current record, too. It should be excluded.

I cannot confirm. Spend 20 minuts setting up environment and testing all variations. Everything works fine.

nwrightau Yes read also field, sorry about that. Types are not the problem, it appears that we can't select records that are in a different section.

Perhaps misconfiguration. there is a video on youtune about that.

Please make sure, in parent you select section of child and vice versa.

nwrightau VIP
26 Sep 2014 04:25

Sergey is that for the Read Also field? just to clarify that is the one we are having issues with.

nwrightau VIP
26 Sep 2014 06:47

I just need to be able to display some featured items. They need to be able to be chosen specifcally for each page of this type, and they need to be able to be from any type. Read also seems to almost do this apart from not being able to choose things that are in another section.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
26 Sep 2014 08:51

Read also is limited to one section only, it is true. You cannot select items from the other section.

The name of the field explain this. Here is the blog post read also blog posts. Here is the video, whatch/read also another video.

nwrightau VIP
26 Sep 2014 09:23

Sergey Read also is limited to one section only, it is true. You cannot select items from the other section.

The name of the field explain this. Here is the blog post read also blog posts. Here is the video, whatch/read also another video.

I see, in that case can I wrap everything in one section? Or is it possible to modify this field so it looks in all sections?

nwrightau VIP
26 Sep 2014 23:58

fields/readmore/readmore.php__ - I think this is the field in question, possible to modify this and I can add it as a separate custom field that allows content to be chosen from any section?

pepperstreet VIP
27 Sep 2014 00:07

Sergey No user restrict = no one will restrict by user for everyone. It means that everyone will see in the list only their own articles.

Then I am lost in translation. Is it just me? I can read the parameter label over and over again... and it is still not clear to me.

Sergey I cannot confirm. Spend 20 minuts setting up environment and testing all variations. Everything works fine.

We are talking about READ ALSO field ;)

Sergey Read also is limited to one section only, it is true. You cannot select items from the other section.

Why can I select ANY type in parameters?!?

The name of the field explain this.

Sorry. No, it does not explain this (strange) limitation. Especially, if I am able to select multiple types (from any section!).

I also see no reason for this limitation. If there is a crucial technical reason... then the type selection parameter has to be changed completely.

nwrightau VIP
27 Sep 2014 00:24

I think this bug only happens with the autocomplete via ajax option, with multiple select I can select some options that I could do with the ajax one.