nwrightau VIP
Total posts: 99
31 Jul 2014 07:41

Hi Everyone,

New to cobalt, but loving it looks like by far the most comprehensive cck available for joomla.

Now I want to use to for a site I'm working on, the main site functaionality works like this.

Projects - Folders (optional) - Documents

Projects will contain all relevant discussion and uploads [documents, will just be file uploads with descriptions, titles and tags].

Folders need to be optional, say if the project is really complex they may want to create a folder to group the documents uploaded there.

My question is, what is the best way to create this setup? I have created a section and a type, I'm looking at using field groups for the different options but I'm not sure that will acheive what I need.

Projects, documents etc will need to be subject to approval workflows. I haven't been able to look into this yet but it looks like Cobalt will handle it nicely.

Any direction and pointers would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Last Modified: 05 Aug 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
31 Jul 2014 13:02

grindstone and uploads [documents, will just be file uploads with descriptions, titles and tags]

Multiple uploads per article? tags per file or upload article?

grindstone Projects, documents etc will need to be subject to approval workflows. I haven't been able to look into this yet but it looks like Cobalt will handle it nicely.

In type parameters submission tab set Approve automaticaly to no.

grindstone My question is, what is the best way to create this setup? I have created a section and a type, I'm looking at using field groups for the different options but I'm not sure that will acheive what I need.

I do not exactly understand what you need. Can you explain again?

nwrightau VIP
01 Aug 2014 00:22

Sergey

grindstone and uploads [documents, will just be file uploads with descriptions, titles and tags]

Multiple uploads per article? tags per file or upload article?

Project - Folder -- Document

Every document record would contain it's own tags and a single upload. If the user wants to add more documents they create a new document record.

grindstone Projects, documents etc will need to be subject to approval workflows. I haven't been able to look into this yet but it looks like Cobalt will handle it nicely.

In type parameters submission tab set Approve automaticaly to no.

Thanks will have a look.

grindstone My question is, what is the best way to create this setup? I have created a section and a type, I'm looking at using field groups for the different options but I'm not sure that will acheive what I need.

I do not exactly understand what you need. Can you explain again?

You have better knoweldege of Cobalt than me, I'm not sure the best way to approach this and was hoping you could give me some ideas on how to build this functionality in Cobalt.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
01 Aug 2014 01:16

Depends on your workflow..., and how users should create, see, edit and manage "projects". I could imagine different ways to build it.

Some rough ideas:

1. Projects/Folders = Cobalt User-Categories, Docs = Cobalt Articles
  2. Project = Article, Relations between Parent article and multiple Childs (docs), re-usable in other projects.
  3. Project = Article, Docs = Cobalt Type-As-Comment. Comment type can have any field! Not re-usable.
  4. Project = Article, + Comments (docs). Simple docs + standard file attachments.

3.-4. may also have optional "User-Categories". Which gives additional structure and views on user's homepage. I have not tested user-categories in detail. Just a quick idea from the top of my head ;)

PS: To get a better idea... you definitely have to play with all those Cobalt features. Parameters and options differ.

nwrightau VIP
01 Aug 2014 02:37

pepperstreet Depends on your workflow..., and how users should create, see, edit and manage "projects". I could imagine different ways to build it.

Some rough ideas:

1. Projects/Folders = Cobalt User-Categories, Docs = Cobalt Articles
  2. Project = Article, Relations between Parent article and multiple Childs (docs), re-usable in other projects.3. Project = Article, Docs = Cobalt Type-As-Comment. Comment type can have any field! Not re-usable.
  3. Project = Article, + Comments (docs). Simple docs + standard file attachments.

2.-4. may also have optional "User-Categories". Which gives additional structure and views on user's homepage.

PS: To get a better idea... you definitely have to play with all those Cobalt features. Parameters and options differ.

Hi, Thanks so much for that reply!!! I was just looking into 'User-categories' but having trouble figuring out how to actually do it on the front end. If projects & folders could be user-created categories, then documents as a type within those categories that could work.

That's interesting about comments being able to have any fields! I hadn't looked at that yet will have a look. Thankyou.

nwrightau VIP
01 Aug 2014 04:10

Project = Article, Relations between Parent article and multiple Childs (docs), re-usable in other projects.

How do I go about creating this setup?

nwrightau VIP
01 Aug 2014 05:31

Okay i've created the types using the relation parent/child fields like you said and it seems to be working nicely - few questions

1. How do I automatically set the category of child items to that of the parent? eg, Project category is water, any documents or folders added should automatically have the parent category.

2. How do I display fields on the full view template? [eg file upload isn't displaying]

3. How do I set only the parents to display, eg in the category index only projects should display, when opening a project, folders and documents should display.

4. In the search filter module, when you start typing for categories or users a box drops down saying you will receive suggestions - how hard is it to have this same functionality for the main search field as well?

nwrightau VIP
01 Aug 2014 07:24

I've also tested using 'Comments as Types', this seems to work better - at least initially as it actually displays on the page.

Still have the same issues as above though, categories need to be inherited from the parent, and only projects should display on the main list view.

nwrightau VIP
03 Aug 2014 12:53

Can someone from mint joomla contact me ASAP discuss custom work requirements and training for this component? Payment is no problem but we have deadlines to meet so need contact asap.

nwrightau VIP
03 Aug 2014 22:02

pepperstreet

Little Headsup

Section's categories and User-Categories are not the same!

• Regular categories are created in the backend. It is a pre-defined structure, that can be restricted and used by certain content types. They can be listed in an optional module; displayed as links in list/full view. There is also a special template for category index.* User-categories can be created by the user in frontend. An article can belong to 1 user-category only. They have nothing to do with the regular category structure. It is a simple categorization on the user's section homepage.

Ah I see, that's okay - I won't use user categories then and go for one of the other models. Comments as types looks promising, any idea about the predictive search question?

pepperstreet VIP
03 Aug 2014 22:50

grindstone 4. In the search filter module, when you start typing for categories or users a box drops down saying you will receive suggestions - how hard is it to have this same functionality for the main search field as well?

Unfortunately, the main Cobalt search input does not offer this functionality. Docs - fulltext Search & Index

There is also a general Joomla search plugin. Certainly, this is seperate from the cool Cobalt filter area and module. (edit: deleleted). But this global search input can be extended by another AJAX solution e.g. Offlajn AJAX Life Search + modified Cobalt search plugin which supports image display; or other similar extensions like RokSearch, PixSearch. But those may just display Cobalt titles.

nwrightau VIP
03 Aug 2014 23:47

pepperstreet

grindstone 4. In the search filter module, when you start typing for categories or users a box drops down saying you will receive suggestions - how hard is it to have this same functionality for the main search field as well?

Unfortunately, the main Cobalt search input does not offer this functionality. Docs - fulltext Search & Index

There is also a general Joomla search plugin. Certainly, this is seperate from the cool Cobalt filter area and module. So, you would be re-directed to another results page. But this global search input can be extended by another AJAX solution e.g. Offlajn AJAX Life Search + modified Cobalt search plugin which supports image display; or other similar extensions like RokSearch, PixSearch. But those may just display Cobalt titles.

I see, could you modify the cobalt search plugin to have this functionality? Perhaps it could work with the Joomla smart search module?

pepperstreet VIP
04 Aug 2014 00:26

grindstone could you modify the cobalt search plugin to have this functionality?

You mean the original Cobalt function in advanced search area and/or module position? Sorry, nope. I wish I could ;)
BTW, i have to correct my previous comment about re-direction. Actually, the Offlajn search result should point you to the respective article full view. It lists the titles with links... so, I guess you will get to the article directly. I remember, here is another user which used the Offlajn product.

Perhaps it could work with the Joomla smart search module?

There is also a Cobalt Finder plugin (disabled by default)

nwrightau VIP
04 Aug 2014 00:55

pepperstreet

grindstone could you modify the cobalt search plugin to have this functionality?

You mean the original Cobalt function in advanced search area and/or module position? Sorry, nope. I wish I could ;)

BTW, i have to correct my previous comment about re-direction. Actually, the Offlajn search result should point you to the respective article full view. It lists the titles with links... so, I guess you will get to the article directly. I remember, here is another user which used the Offlajn product.

Perhaps it could work with the Joomla smart search module?

There is also a Cobalt Finder plugin (disabled by default)

Ok thanks will have a look at the Cobalt Finder plugin.

Sergey
04 Aug 2014 02:03

grindstone Can someone from mint joomla contact me ASAP discuss custom work requirements and training for this component?

We do not work on weekends that is why there was no answer so long. Now I am here and I am ready to give you at least one answer. Unfortunately this is all we can do. I have no time for custom development.

grindstone How do I automatically set the category of child items to that of the parent? eg, Project category is water, any documents or folders added should automatically have the parent category.

Your parent and children types are all in one sections? Unfortunately there is no category match. I do not think it is possible.

grindstone How do I display fields on the full view template? [eg file upload isn't displaying]

Perhaps this is an error or bug. Let em check.

grindstone How do I set only the parents to display, eg in the category index only projects should display, when opening a project, folders and documents should display.

I guess this answeres my first question. You have to create 3 different sections. One for project and one for documents.

grindstone In the search filter module, when you start typing for categories or users a box drops down saying you will receive suggestions - how hard is it to have this same functionality for the main search field as well?

That depends on your skills. If you know PHP and Javascript it is not hard at all. But since you ask I think it will be not easy for you.

nwrightau VIP
04 Aug 2014 02:34

Sergey

grindstone Can someone from mint joomla contact me ASAP discuss custom work requirements and training for this component?

We do not work on weekends that is why there was no answer so long. Now I am here and I am ready to give you at least one answer. Unfortunately this is all we can do. I have no time for custom development.

No problem, that's a shame that you can't do custom development - I don't think we would require very much. Can you point me in the direction of someone who can?

grindstone How do I automatically set the category of child items to that of the parent? eg, Project category is water, any documents or folders added should automatically have the parent category.

Your parent and children types are all in one sections? Unfortunately there is no category match. I do not think it is possible.

I am using the following structure:

• Main Section -- Category 1 -- Catgeory 2 -- Category 3 -- Category 4

Say I add a new Project to category one. Then I can also add a folder or a document to that project, but on the submission form for either of these the user can choose a different category to the project - this should not be, it should get the category from the project in every case.

I am using comments as types for the documents, and that seems to be working nicely.

grindstone How do I display fields on the full view template? [eg file upload isn't displaying]

Perhaps this is an error or bug. Let em check.

I haven't had this issue when I changed to comments as types.

grindstone How do I set only the parents to display, eg in the category index only projects should display, when opening a project, folders and documents should display.

I guess this answeres my first question. You have to create 3 different sections. One for project and one for documents.

Okay I see, that's one way it could be done - Problem is we would like to have an over arching section containing them all and categories that each type can be in. I have found a way to display only the types I want using one of the modules provided.

grindstone In the search filter module, when you start typing for categories or users a box drops down saying you will receive suggestions - how hard is it to have this same functionality for the main search field as well?

That depends on your skills. If you know PHP and Javascript it is not hard at all. But since you ask I think it will be not easy for you.

Can probably do it, I'm not new to Joomla or custom development only to your component and have a deadline to work to - if you could add this feature let me know how much and how soon it can be done.

pepperstreet VIP
04 Aug 2014 03:02

Sorry, I still don't get the idea about your "structure" and "who does what". Especially "who can view what". Can you describe you wanted structure and how you are going to create new "entries". Maybe in a short list and a short example for the workflow?

Sergey
04 Aug 2014 04:03

grindstone that's a shame that you can't do custom development

You mean shame on me? Should I feel ashamed that I have no time?

grindstone I am using comments as types for the documents, and that seems to be working nicely.

This system is designed so that you submit related articles to difefrent section. You may create different category structure there or no category structure at all.

grindstone Can probably do it, I'm not new to Joomla or custom development only to your component and have a deadline to work to - if you could add this feature let me know how much and how soon it can be done.

I cannot add it to Cobalt right now. Even if I add it, I add to Cobalt 9 branch which will not be out soon anyway. Again, should I feel ashamed or not I do not know, but I have to say, I have no time for custom development.

But, I would use JUNR.JS to create fulltext index of all records and then use that as search suggestions.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
04 Aug 2014 06:48

But, I would use JUNR.JS to create fulltext index of all records and then use that as search suggestions.

LUNR.JS

nwrightau VIP
04 Aug 2014 10:14

Sergey

grindstone that's a shame that you can't do custom development

You mean shame on me? Should I feel ashamed that I have no time?

Lol no that's not what I meant. Would have been good if you had the time that's all.

grindstone I am using comments as types for the documents, and that seems to be working nicely.

This system is designed so that you submit related articles to difefrent section. You may create different category structure there or no category structure at all.

grindstone Can probably do it, I'm not new to Joomla or custom development only to your component and have a deadline to work to - if you could add this feature let me know how much and how soon it can be done.

I cannot add it to Cobalt right now. Even if I add it, I add to Cobalt 9 branch which will not be out soon anyway. Again, should I feel ashamed or not I do not know, but I have to say, I have no time for custom development.

Sackgesicht

LUNR.JS

Will investigate LUNR.JS thanks.

pepperstreet VIP
05 Aug 2014 01:17

FYI

Offlajn Ajax Live Search & Rockettheme RokAjaxSearch seem to work fine. So, you might re-place the Cobalt search input field by using loadmodule/loadposition in a custom markup template. Or just choose a suitable module position in your J! main template.

Some things worth to know:

Offlajn

• uses Dojo Script library
  • vast amount of options and theme settings
  • additional module for showing the results! See their flat/minimal demos.
  • ANY J! search plugin works, but they also offer modified "improved" search plugins, mainly because of image support.
    (AFAIK, the Cobalt plugin is slightly out-dated. I was not able to get an image field value from Cobalt.)
  • collected search keywords can be used for user-input completition (suggestions)
  • search areas can be selected in frontend (optionally)

Rockettheme

• product seems to use MooTools (hope to see a jQuery re-write for J!3 soon)
  • seems to work with any J! search plugin
  • NO image support
  • parameters to show/hide description, category, read-more, show-all
  • hide certain DIV id's

PixSearch

• current downlaod version does not work at all?! Got fatal errors in module backend in J25/30 :(

General tip: If there are many areas/sections to search, you should Re-order or disable the search plugins in respective J! manager.