hakana VIP
Total posts: 425
07 Aug 2015 12:54

Hi Sergey,

I am also seeling some zipped mp3 files with Emerald subscription component. But the link of the files are static, so if someone learns the links, he can donwload it as much as he wants. Do you consider writing a download component that works with emerald and changes the download link everytime the file is downloaded? Or do you recommend me a solution? Kind regards. Hakan

Last Modified: 17 Aug 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
07 Aug 2015 20:40

hakana But the link of the files are static, so if someone learns the links, he can donwload it as much as he wants

What about "Count Limit" mode. Wouldn't it help to restrict the total amount of downloads per file/URL?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
10 Aug 2015 06:34

Yes I can recommend you Cobalt. It was build with download protection in mind. Plus it is integrated with Emerald in the core. There are download field that will allow you restrict downloads by subscription. There is also paytoaccess field that will allow to sell individual downloads. This field is used on this site. mintjoomla uses Emerald and Cobalt to sell downloads.

@paperstreet. The problem that download extension hakana is using generate download links like this http://site.com/files/file1.zip . Direct links to file and Emerald cannot controll it. The link to download have to be through Joomla index.php something like this http://site.com/index.php?option=com_download& ;task=file.get&file=2. When Download link processed through Joomla then Emerald might controll if someone can download it.

hakana VIP
15 Aug 2015 16:01

I know Cobalt but it is so huge just for a download component. That's why I asked an integrated Emerald plugin, component or whatever. You can sell it for an additional price if you like.

pepperstreet VIP
16 Aug 2015 00:03

Sergey ...The link to download have to be through Joomla index.php something like this http://site.com/index.php?option=com_download& ;amp;task=file.get&file=2. When Download link processed through Joomla then Emerald might controll if someone can download it.

I see. Thought he is already using Cobalt or another Joomla downloads manager.

hakana ... I know Cobalt but it is so huge just for a download component...

Weird idea: What about using J! core Weblinks component?! It would create Joomla URLs and you might protect and restrict them with Emerald.

hakana VIP
16 Aug 2015 07:26

Hi Pepperstreet,

Indeed your idea is not weird and I want to use weblinks if it would work. But the thing here is, as far as I know, weblinks component work as a redirect tool and at the end you see the original link of the files. Here, I need to hide the link or change the link of the file after every download so that user never sees where the files are located. If this is possible with weblinks, I would like to learn how to do it.

pepperstreet VIP
17 Aug 2015 00:29

hakana weblinks component work as a redirect tool and at the end you see the original link of the files

Possibly. Never investigated it in detail. Just a quick idea from the top of my head.
Would you mind to try it and post your experiences?
BTW, I remember I worked on a stock-media site where I couldn't download any direct file. I mean, it gave an error message about no-permissions and access etc. Not sure how it was done... maybe files and folder were outside the actual CMS root!? May this is possible with in your environment, too? Not sure about Joomla itself.

Most likely, you would have to use a specialized download extension.
Then import or re-link your files/URLs to get a real protection. (e.g. DOCman, Cobalt etc.)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
17 Aug 2015 06:12

You can also use remository. Emerald even have rule adapter for it. I also know that jDownload can create non-direct links.