• Home
  • Support
  • Forum
  • Emerald 9
  • Renewed subscription doesn't delete old subscription listing... just creates a new subscription item

zanni
Total posts: 70
09 Apr 2015 16:47

Hi,

Should Emerald on membership renewal of a subscription add time to the existing subscriber's time, not just creates a new subscription item with a new creation date. On both my J1.5 and current J3.4 site subscriber old items are not deleted. Resulting in multiple accounts under one user name.

At the subscription page t says,"Purchase new or update subscription". But there is no separtion between purchasing new and renewing so the subscriber is just ALWAYS purchasing a new plan. Am I missing something? Can this be changed in the settings or is this a bug?

D. Ashley

Last Modified: 22 Apr 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
09 Apr 2015 20:25

I think it is meant to work like this. At least it looks the same on MintJoomla account and in my demos. Each/any purchase gets his own ID and orderID and is logged in the history. I guess, that's the only way to keep track of dates and payed amounts.
Do you see or have any issues with this method?

zanni
Total posts: 70
10 Apr 2015 02:57

So, there shouldn't be a button (or part of a tagline) that says "or renew or update" because the member isn't really update but purchasing a new subscription. Or maybe the subscriber should be able to simply renew (or extend) the existing subscription.

I only bring this up because I think it confuses my members and perhaps other members on other site.

Than you, D. Ashley

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
12 Apr 2015 19:59

zanni there shouldn't be a button (or part of a tagline) that says "or renew or update"

The link is a shortcut between plans page and subscription history. A sort of mini-navigation. If displayed, it can have different purposes or meanings for the user... the user might have no active subscription anymore, or he might add a total different plan. It depends on your site, plans setup. So, I think it has that common title because of many possible use cases. Not to mention, that page is a "history" for any purchases... not just "my current subscription plan info" page.

History page

• AFAIK, there is no parameter to hide the link/button. Not in config, and not in MenuItem.
  • Unfortunately the link CSS class is very generic. There is no unique class to hide it easily via CSS property :(
  • The history table would also benefit of CSS classes for the different statuses. So, there is more visual support than a small icon... inactive and older subscriptions could be muted. And current active subscriptions would stand out from the rest.
  • There is no option to select an alternative layout. You have to create a template override in your J! template folder.

@Sergey: Good points for some new feature requests ;)

Workarounds

Currently, you have the following options:

• Change the wording through Joomla Language Manager -> Overrides -> EPURCHASENEW (text constant)
    Could even be a space/blank character to hide the link.

• remove the link/button markup in the template. Create a template override for the following file:
    YourJoomla ▸ components ▸ com_emerald ▸ views ▸ emhistory ▸ tmpl ▸ default.php

• You might also create your own custom dynamic "Subscription Info" page with the help of the content plugin Syntax.
    Either show a custom HTML Module above Subscription History, or even create a single Joomla article and respective article MenuItem instead (remember to set the MenuItem in Emerald backend -> Global Config)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
22 Apr 2015 09:49

When you go to subscription list if you select the same subscription it is renew, if you select new subscription it is update. All those options are possible on the same page that is why the link title contain both terms.