nblgeoweb VIP
Total posts: 178
24 Mar 2015 16:47

Cobalt 8.643

I have a Cobalt filter module displayed and at the same time I have "Show Filters" turned on in my markup template. All templates are default.

One of my fields is a multi-level select. In the situation above, the multi-level select works fine in the markup but the filter on the module only shows the first level of the multi-level selector. When I turn "Show Filters" off in the markup template, the multi-level select in the module displays correctly. Any ideas?

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
24 Mar 2015 16:57

nblgeoweb When I turn "Show Filters" off in the markup template, the multi-level select in the module displays correctly. Any ideas?

That is the culprit. You should not display the Filters module AND advanced search filters area on the same page! Only use one solution.

nblgeoweb VIP
24 Mar 2015 17:32

Do you know if that is just a limitation of that tool used for that widget or is it the way it's implemented in Cobalt? I was playing with a situation where I had a couple filters displayed in a module and then if the users wanted to get to all the filters, they would go into the advanced search. For now I can avoid having two multi-level selectors for the same field on the same page.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
24 Mar 2015 19:25

nblgeoweb Do you know if that is just a limitation of that tool used for that widget or is it the way it's implemented in Cobalt?

In general, you should not display and use the same filter on the same page.

Actually, you can use the module and the advanced search area together, if you distribute the filters in each location. i.e. a certain group of filters in the module, and another group in the advanced search area above the list.

Most likely filters with Javascript involved will have more serious issues. So, you might have luck with very simple fields/filters in both locations... Headsup: It is not advised to do so! In general, use a filter in one location only!

The main purpose of the Module is to show Filters in a different template position. i.e. Show search/filters on the homepage, and redirect to the list/results. Or show search on sidebar and not on top of the list etc.

nblgeoweb VIP
24 Mar 2015 22:12

Thanks for the guidance, pepperstreet. I'll try to avoid such a situation. In playing around with layout I'm finding I can make a pretty effective page with a filter module rather than using filters in the markup template.