nblgeoweb VIP
Total posts: 178
11 Dec 2013 17:44

I'm sure this isn't existing functionality but I thought I'd ask about it just in case you were thinking about it...

Have you ever considered adding the ability to filter categories? I would like to have certain categories be visible or hidden depending on a user selected filter, much like records work now.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Dec 2013 23:23

There is category filter. It is visible only if filter mode it set to search through all section. You cannot filter categories when it may search only in current category.

There are parameters for this filter in markup filter template, filters tab.

nblgeoweb VIP
Total posts: 178
12 Dec 2013 11:07

I saw the filter you mean. It's quite useful but what I'm actually looking for is the ability to assign some sort of field to a category and restrict which categories are displayed based on the value of that field. For example, show me all the categories with field = value. The catch is what to do for a category list when a category matches the filter but it's parent doesn't. The only thing you could do is display the parent as well. With a lot of categories, that query might start to take a long time. The category field doesn't need to be user editable.

I have a situation where I have a hierarchy of categories and I want people to be able to change which categories in that hierarchy are visible to them by clicking a link/button.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
13 Dec 2013 00:03

I see

There are 2 types of CCKs. One is when you connect fields to categories and only as Cobalt create content types. Those 2 approaches both has pros and cons but usually do not mix.

There is no way to bind fields to categories. It is completely different logic of how everything works.