ericdavisosu
Total posts: 11
08 Sep 2013 12:07

At first I didn't really like the forum app but after using it for a bit I can see there is some great potential. I have one issue and one idea to make people see the usefulness of this product from the start. The issue that I really didn't like when I installed it was the inclusion of sample data. The forum includes sample users, categories, and records. The users especially could be considered a security vulnerability to some people.

Concerning the potential, one of the cool features of Kunena, which is probably the main competitor to this product is that the first post's text is a tooltip allowing people to quickly get the main ideaof the topic without wasting time and server resources by viewing the post. A tooltip seems like the perfect location for Cobalt extra fields that are too unpredictable to include in the actual template. This would give people almost limitless potential in what kind of information they want to include on the listing page without completely recoding the template.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
09 Sep 2013 01:00

Thank you for this really valuable input. I could see forum pack through your eyes and I understand your concerns.

i have to mention that we do not consider Kunena as a competitor. But i feel little superior, just because you lined up Cobalt forum pak with Kunena. Kunena is specific forum extension which so many specific forum features, we do not even think to compete. And although Cobalt forum app has it's own advantages, kunena is still the #1 forum.

Forum app is for those who do not need too many features and more simple solution is ok for them.

It is not difficult to add tooltip pr slidedown to the template. Unfortunately I could not see what you have mentioned on their forum. Would be nice if you apply screenshots.

Anyway first post is always there on every topic page in Cobalt.

The users especially could be considered a security vulnerability to some people.

True. But those users created with registered rights. No special access is granted.

ericdavisosu
Total posts: 11
09 Sep 2013 17:21

Here is a screenshot and my suggestion for how to implement in Cobalt. Joomlaworks implements something similar in their RSS Feedreader. See http://joomlareader.com and http://demo.joomlaworks.net/simple-rss-feed-reader.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Sep 2013 14:07

BTW, Kunena makes use of the HTML title tag. More or less the simplest form of a build-in tooltip. But it is still browser-specific and takes quite some time to show-up. (Personally, i find it too slow.)

So, i would also consider bootstrap tooltips, or even popovers. Which behave much quicker, IMHO. Not to mention they are customizable in their delay and appearance. For more text/content i would tend to use popovers.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Sep 2013 00:35

Tooltips now may accept HTML. I think tooltips would be perfectly fine.