geojoomla
Total posts: 73
11 Feb 2015 13:54

Hi,

I know most templates could be adapted etc.

But from experience, are there certain Joomla templates on which Cobalt (& Emerald) "work well" ?

Even if from default Joomla one(s) or different - any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you.

Last Modified: 24 Feb 2015

COBALT
Total posts: 408
11 Feb 2015 14:09

yootheme.com templates perfectly work with Cobalt!

geojoomla
11 Feb 2015 15:09

Hmm... shall I understand that Cobalt and Emarald work on "Warp 7 framework" templates without any issues?

COBALT
Total posts: 408
11 Feb 2015 16:11

My Yootheme template uses the latest version of Warp Framework 7.3.2, problems with Cobalt aren't present

geojoomla
11 Feb 2015 18:47

Thank you very much for confirming.

I will look into it, but I'm also wondering about potential speed issues.

They look good and rich in features...

I was wondering how such templates deal with a growing database, compared to smth very simple like "protostar" for example (or others similar).

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
11 Feb 2015 20:35

geojoomla I was wondering how such templates deal with a growing database, compared to smth very simple like "protostar" for example (or others similar).

geojoomla "Warp 7 framework"

Yootheme is cooking his own JS / CSS soup. This "can" be an advantage, but you have to get used to it. So, most likely there are no serious conflicts. For missing bootstrap styling or layout issues, you have an option to load Yootheme's BS CSS file, or better try Cobalt's compatibility setting in global config.

Remember... Yootheme WARP comes with a lot of overrides. Some things are in different locations. especially module chrome and styles are a bit different. There are a lot of CSS files and overriding... nonetheless it seems very solid and fast. At least with JS/CSS compression set ON.

(PS: In the past I have encountered some strange things compared with Joomla core: Missing Module background image, Contact form validation. All due to the overrides! Also remember some issues with template styles on specific menuItems. But this could be improved already...)

Headsup:
AFAIK, the next WARP 8 is coming soon. Possibly it will be powered by UIkit v3 (which is not an update, it is a re-write!)

HELIX 2 comes with "own" BS v2.

HELIX v3 is only BS3. But seems to include BS v2 grid layout. Currently in RC version. Still needs improvements and fixes...

PLAZART has a template switch for BS2 / BS3. Actually it is a mixture of T3 and HELIX2 layout editor)

Alternative: Do not use a heavy template framework which comes with its own Bootstrap files. Try a blank template, or simply make your own Protostar copy. The only thing I would miss, is a fancy off-canvas menu solution. But even this could be solved...

danielbidala VIP
Total posts: 153
11 Feb 2015 23:01

I suggest try https://www.joomla-monster.com/ Their template engine uses bootstrap 2 and looks great with lot of functions. And the most important, they have FREE TEMPLATES too.

geojoomla
11 Feb 2015 23:58

Thanks @pepperstreet.

After I looked again at yootheme, and @pepperstreet suggestion, I have a feeling that "the simpler/lighter I start - the more stable, faster and non-issues".

And I realised a simple "negative" detail about these warp thingies... Yes, they are responsive - BUT their menus are actually not tablet/mobile friendly at all.

Any "hovering effect" is useless on touchscreens and these years you have to consider the user's finger as a strong competitor to his mouse. :)

geojoomla
12 Feb 2015 00:05

I missed @danielbidala before I wrote above, but I tend to consider @pepperstreet last phrase

"Alternative: Do not use a heavy template framework which comes with its own Bootstrap files. Try a blank template, or simply make your own Protostar copy. The only thing I would miss, is a fancy off-canvas menu solution. But even this could be solved"

And I agree about off-canvas menus.

I'll probably pull my hairs from time to time on css files, if I want to "increase coolness".

But coolness can be achieved anytime with cool content/pictures/slides etc.

... and yeah, a compulsory finger-friendly off-canvas menu :)

geojoomla
12 Feb 2015 00:36

To give credit to @danielbidala and his suggestion, joomla-monster takes care of touch browsing...

As for cool imaginative creators, may I also suggest

http://www.pixelpointcreative.com/

It's a matter of taste, but IMHO they make maybe the most imaginative templates I've seen for Joomla

They are beautiful templates - I'll definitely buy from them but not for Cobalt - I just see them sweating under a cobalt driven website.

But yep, my hat off for their imagination.

pepperstreet VIP
12 Feb 2015 01:14

geojoomla And I realised a simple "negative" detail about these warp thingies... Yes, they are responsive - BUT their menus are actually not tablet/mobile friendly at all.

AFAIK, since WARP7 they totally rely on the UIkit powered off-canvas position. So, you have to deal with that menu style for all touch devices. One thing might be improved: The off-canvas position does not appear on tablet/landscape width. So, you probably get the regular menu on medium size screens with hover by default!

WARP7 suggestions & tips

• you may adjust the reponsible CSS and media-queries

• or simply change the default classes for main menu and offcanvas toggle. They are set for small screens: uk-hidden-small , uk-visible-small. I think medium makes more sense!

• main menu / dropdown on click:
    By default the dropdown menus open on hover. Funnily there seems to be no theme setting to change the behavior... at least no in the free Master2 theme. But you could easily change it with a small modification. Hence the UIKIT dropdown docs!

pepperstreet VIP
12 Feb 2015 01:39

danielbidala I suggest try https://www.joomla-monster.com/ Their template engine uses bootstrap 2 and looks great with lot of functions.

Thanks for reminding me on their framework. Totally forgot about their new EF v4 release. Going to give it a spin soon...

First demo experiences:

Actually, the free version seem to have the same basic select menu like in WARP 6. It forces the menu to a device dependent OS appearance... Ugly and strange for my personal taste. The off-canvas option is identical. Small advantage for EF: The position can be switched in template settings.

First local installation of free template "JM Services":

Pretty neat and stable.
Interactive layout builder similar to T3/Helix/Gavick... but some layout areas and options are not customizable!? i.e. not all positions can be resized, no custom classes. Only module positions can be selected.
Loads bootstrap JS from J! core :)
Loads bootstrap v2.3.2 CSS and special less files from template framework.
Contra: by default no real iconfont like J! icomoon or FontAwesome. Just BS Glyphicons. Contra: Free DJ-Menu script works with hover / mouseenter etc.
Mobile simple select menu can be turned off. Maybe use (permanent) off-canvas position instead.
Pro and most important: Seems to have full compatibility with Cobalt and demo Packs. :)

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
24 Feb 2015 10:16

and what do you think about rocket theme ? currently i tested : smart addons, there is some conflict with yt framework (popup of email field no longer work, etc) - Yootheme it seems there are no problems - Joomlashine : old template worked without problem (ex jsn nuru) but since few templates there are somes conflicts - Joomlart : some templates are very problematics

regards

asmuz
Total posts: 102
24 Feb 2015 12:13

Cobalt and Emerald templates based on Bootstrap 2 Framework and use core bootstrap 2 classes and styles. Any Joomla templates based on bootstrap will worked perfectly.