randallw VIP
Total posts: 74
02 May 2015 00:48

Hi, what would be the best way to show an index for a series of related articles? The scenario is that I would have 10 related articles in a series. When viewing any of the articles in the series I would like a list (table of contents) with links to each of the 10 articles, with the current article bold highlighted but not linked. Some way of automating this configuration without having to manually set up each of the links and sequence would be great. Then having a change to the sequence of the articles in the series or changing the title of one of the articles would automatically update the index on the other articles in the series.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, Randall.

Last Modified: 06 May 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 May 2015 18:51

Hello randallw,

what type of relation do you have?
I mean, what is the criteria to show the other articles?
Where are they located? Are there common field values, tags or category?

...having a change to the sequence of the articles in the series...

What do you mean by that? If there is a dynamic selection, I don't think you can change to a manual order.

In general, you should have a look at Records field and Records module, which supply many different options for relation.

I guess, the only thing missing is the highlight of current article. I think both "Records" products ommit the current article automatically. Maybe this can be changed or added somehow.

Another solution could be ReadAlso field.

It is a manual selection, but it allows different input styles, incl. multi-select. It can show-up in ONE or BOTH directions/locations.
I am not sure about the order parameter. It seems to apply to the form display... but in full-article view it keeps the initial selection?!

randallw VIP
03 May 2015 14:28

pepperstreet what type of relation do you have?

The records are of the same type. They are articles which are simply related by the topic (subject matter). Not currently any particular data field relating them, but I guess I could add a "Series Title" field.

pepperstreet ...having a change to the sequence of the articles in the series...>

What I mean is that if I chose to add another article into the series (eg break down a long article into two) then I would want to avoid the need of having to manually change the article sequencing/numbering on each of the articles in the series. Or if I realised that it made more sense to have one topic before another for the logical progression of the series, this would be another reason to resequence the articles in the series.

Thanks for the suggestions of using Records field/module and ReadAlso.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else doing this and how they achieved it.

Cheers, Randall.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
03 May 2015 20:36

randallw add another article into the series (eg break down a long article into two) then I would want to avoid the need of having to manually change the article sequencing/numbering on each of the articles in the series. Or if I realised that it made more sense to have one topic before another for the logical progression of the series, this would be another reason to resequence the articles in the series.

I see. Good point and use cases.

Regarding the Records- and ReadAlso suggestions:
Maybe it is possible to disable the default ordering from the template override,
so it keeps the initial order from the selection. After selection, it should have a drag'n'drop feature.
e.g. jQueryUI sortable, or a 3rdparty jQuery Script for sortable/draggable items. Such a script could manipulate the ordering before form submission... and save the index.

randallw VIP
03 May 2015 22:03

Thanks for the additional suggestions, however I am trying really hard to not introduce more components beyond the absolute basic editor, backup, security, etc. I would like to explore what is available using only Cobalt first. Cheers, Randall.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
06 May 2015 01:54

randallw What I mean is that if I chose to add another article into the series (eg break down a long article into two) then I would want to avoid the need of having to manually change the article sequencing/numbering on each of the articles in the series.

Read also designed for that. If you eneable double bound conection it will do what you want. Example you add article 1. Then you add article 2 and select article 1 there. It will result that article 1 will show article 2 and vice versa. Then you add article 3 and select artilces 1 and 2. So, it will result that artcle 1 will list articles 2,3 and so on.

If you want them to be listed in special order, set ordering parameters. options are you start titles with sequence like Part 1 - Beginning, Part 2 - Continue, ... and then order by title or order by create date and simple add them in order.

randallw VIP
06 May 2015 20:58

Thank you Sergey and pepperstreet