randallw VIP
Total posts: 74
23 Dec 2014 01:52

Hi Sergey, Just wondering if you have any comments regarding using Cobalt to sell digital goods to customers in European Union, after the new VATMOSS tax laws come into affect on 1-Jan-2015? I am in Australia and from what I have read, it seems I need to collect 2 pieces of Location data on each Customer and for customers in EU, calculate tax at the applicable rate for the Customer's location, then I'm not sure who the EU Customer tax is payable to.

Does Cobalt have any features which will assist?

(I admit I don't know a lot about this new tax requirement and my website is not yet active for digital sales, but I plan to do this in 2015 and would like to use Cobalt as much as possible with Paypal integration)

Thanks, Randall.

Last Modified: 31 Dec 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 Dec 2014 14:24

I do not yet know anything about VATMOSS. But if we anderstand what and how it should work we will apply nesessary changes.

And also I think since you sell your goods from AU to EU, you should not add any VAT. When you export anything you have no VAT. They will have to pay it in IRS when they report this purchase. Exeptions are EU. WHen you are in EU and sell to enother EU then you may add VAT so that buyer do not pay VAT in IRS on tax report and what is in invoice counts for him.

I am not very good at accounting terminology sorry if I sound weird.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
25 Dec 2014 23:37

FYI

Here is a related news-article on Joomlapolis' website. Including some explanations and additional links!

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
27 Dec 2014 11:19

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
31 Dec 2014 15:16

Klox! That is good. Very simple to understand.