randallw VIP
Total posts: 74
02 Oct 2013 22:27

Can the Glossary type which is displayed by the Glossary plugin show the URL and Video fields?

I am trying to display a linked video in the glossary popup. I can see the Video field when accessing the glossary record directly, but not when the popup is triggered from another record.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
03 Oct 2013 04:34

i did not do any test like this, but I think Glossary plugin add little delay to any page loaded. More text on the page the slower it is.

randallw VIP
03 Oct 2013 05:18

Having looked at the Glossary configuration a bit closer it looks like only one field can be used in the popup. Is this correct?

Yes, I can see how lots of large glossary items on a page could slow it down considerably, but wouldn't a linked video only get loaded when the site visitor clicks on the glossary link.

The use case I'm trying to achieve is a mix of one or more html field(s) (holding text and links) and one linked video on the glossary popup, so I thought it would be good to have the popup show the whole glossary record, rather than just one field as configured in the "Description Field" on the glossary plugin.

Does this make sense? If so, is there any chance this can be accomodated?

The alternative is providing a html link to a record which holds the linked video, but this requires the site visitor to perform another click and will therefore decrease the chance they actually see the video. I will do this for now anyway, since it's already available.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
03 Oct 2013 07:44

Having looked at the Glossary configuration a bit closer it looks like only one field can be used in the popup. Is this correct?

Probably yes.

Yes, I can see how lots of large glossary items on a page could slow it down considerably, but wouldn't a linked video only get loaded when the site visitor clicks on the glossary link.

This require lazy load technique.

Does this make sense? If so, is there any chance this can be accomodated?

yes you can accomplish it but you will have to hack glossary plugin and develop your own based on this one.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
03 Oct 2013 18:16

Following... ;-)

randallw VIP
03 Oct 2013 19:40

Thanks Sergey. Good to know it is possible. I'm a business analyst, not a serious coder, so I will put this one on the back burner for now until I have time/money to pay somebody to develop it. Thanks.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Oct 2013 07:36

Video and/or full item preview on hover or click? Seems to be a good application for AJAX ...