randallw VIP
Total posts: 74
30 Jul 2013 08:36

Purchased cobalt, trying to test using the forum pack to group article comments.

Installed pkg_cobalt.j3.everything.v.8.270, pkg_cobalt.j3.media.v.8.67, pack_pack073a51.build.j3.v.8.77.

Can someone please list the simplest steps to link a single section/category and type containing just one html field so that each new article record created shows the Comments as a forum topic and each new comment shows up in the forum section?

I tried and got myself confused. "Comments" title is showing at the bottom of the article record but nothing below it, although it does show "Total rating" to the right of the comments title but I'm not sure if that's part of the comments function or parent record.

Thanks in advance.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
31 Jul 2013 01:16

I have found the error and fixed it for next update.

For immediate fix edit file com_cobalt/library/php/comments/cobalt/cobalt.php and in line 73 change $stype to $type

randallw VIP
01 Aug 2013 07:38

Thanks Sergey. I've been playing around and haven't figured out how (or if) I can do what I'm thinking. I'm building a site where members can submit knowledge articles. The articles are accessible from main menu links to individual categories of one main section.

How I would like it to function: - user A submits an article - user B enters a comment directly on the full article view - all users can see the comment on the full article view

(I can get up to this point ok without introducing the forum by using built-in comments) - all users can see the comment in the Forum - all comments in the forum should include a link to the parent article, without having to specifically type in the relationship. - all users can submit a reply to the comment from either full article view or forum view

To test this, I installed the files mentioned above, made the code fix, created a new type (MyType) with 1 html field, created a new section (MySection) with one category. In the comments provider settings, I've got "Cobalt - Types as comments" to display something on the full article view with these combinations of section and type:

MySection / MyType = comments display, including Start new discussion button.

MySection / Topic = comments display but not Start new discussion button.

Forum / MyType = Start new discussion button displays but errors when trying to add new comment "This type is not allowed to this section"... guessing this is normal configuration of forum section.

Forum / Topic = nothing displays beneath "Comments" title at the bottom of the MyType full article view.

I'm new to cobalt so I don't know if this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how to configure cobalt or a bug.

Could someone please walk me through the configuration required to test the above scenario? Thanks.

Sergey
02 Aug 2013 07:45

As i understand you need to add discussions of documentation article on the forum. And you want that in the forum user can see what particular article we are discussing.

this is already implemented in Forum pack including link display.

Install forum pack and use it as your forum.

For knowledge article select comment type as cobalt article and configure topic type and forum sections to be comments.

YOu can create special category on the forum for discussions of knowledge articles and set its ID in parameters so user will submit discussions only to that category.

Now to make it visible in forum, in section parameter turn on Show records of all clients.

randallw VIP
02 Aug 2013 08:11

Thanks again sergey... After seeing your blog update, I uninstalled all cobalt extensions and re-installed pkg_cobalt.j3.everything.v.8.276, pkg_cobalt.j3.media.v.8.69, pack_pack073a51.build.j3.v.8.77.

Clicking Community Forum link on front-end menu produces error "The page isn't redirecting properly". It's just a test subdomain and does have a couple of other Joomla test components hanging around so should i try re-creating from scratch starting with fresh Joomla install?

On a positive note, i created my type and section for testing, linked comments to Forum / Topic and saw the button to create comments when viewing my type in full article view. Added a comment and saw in the backend records that it went to the forum section... pitty I can't see the forum on front end, but i like what i see so far.

Sergey
02 Aug 2013 08:19

pitty I can't see the forum on front end, but i like what i see so far.

I cannot even imagine how you like what you see if you do not see anything :D

This is all strange. Try to edit menu link to forum and reassign forum section to it.

Or give me you backend access and I'll check and configure for you.

randallw VIP
02 Aug 2013 08:36

Forum was working until I just did the cobalt reinstall so I got to play with its functionality a bit already. I tried creating a new menu to the forum section without success so I will try another reinstall before bothering you to log in.

randallw VIP
02 Aug 2013 20:13

Awesome!! I reinstalled latest Joomla, the cobalt files mentioned above and recreated new type and section. Initial test indicates all works properly now :-)

Now to apply this to my site and start using all the other cool features of cobalt like relation field, video, pay to access/download, paypal... etc... love your work Sergey