techutopia
Total posts: 202
30 Sep 2014 13:46

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head for weeks now about this, and I'm getting so muddled I need some advice from the experts here with more experience.

My website is cobalt based and features businesses in towns in the UK. I have about 8000 towns and 19000 business to list.

Initially for testing I implemented a few categories (one for each town) and then added the businesses to the test categories. It all worked OK, and the url structure seemed OK too (this is quite important to me).

I then had a quick look at importing record data (though I've not managed to get it to work yet), and I saw that categories could be assigned to the import. Great! (I thought) ... then the problem ... no category import, and no mass creation of categories.

So I then worked out how long it would take me to manually add each category by hand ... and whilst I'm not afraid of battling through it, I've got much better things to do with my time ... like occasionally go out for a walk and enjoy the fresh air! :-)

Tags do not seem to be a solution either, so now my only thought is to do alter the SEF Router and include the 'town' in the URL (from an address field) - though admittedly I have no experience of doing this. I'm guessing though that this does not re-create 'town pages' like the categories did and each town category listed all business in a records list.

So I'm feeling a bit lost, and I bet someone here might have had similar issues and maybe found a decent solution. Thanks for your time, I am of course happy to answer any quesstions, but be gentle with me, I'm a bit of a beginner really ... :-)

These I think I my main requirements:

• Search for businesses via town
  • See all business for a town listed on a town page (just like a category page)
  • Decent structured urls ... e.g. /businesses /town-businesses /town-businesses/the_business_record

Categories seem to be the ideal solution to me - with them automatically created on import, but I'm more than willing to consider alternatives especially as at the moment I don't seem to have a choice. :-)

Thanks.

Dale.

Last Modified: 01 Oct 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
30 Sep 2014 19:54
Related topic

techutopia
30 Sep 2014 23:32

Thanks @pepperstreet, appreciated.

I had seen this post, and personally, I have no idea what a CLI script is ... but at this point I'll give anything a try! ... :-)

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
01 Oct 2014 00:08

techutopia no category import, and no mass creation of categories.

@Sergey
Apart from real auto-creation during import...

I could imagine a "mass creation" or "batch tool" for a larger categories structure. Something like the CSV file upload and parser in field "Multiple Level Select". (screenshot)

techutopia
01 Oct 2014 11:08

That looks good - and to be honest it's at least something. :-)

I would of course need to assign each 'new' category manually on import, but that's fairly quick to and I only need to do it once and the settings are remembered.

(I only have a flat category structure - no subcategories - but I can imagine that what you describe would be very useful to others)

Thankyou,

Dale.