techutopia
Total posts: 202
26 Sep 2014 13:38

Hi,

I wondered if there's any plans to update the maxmind service as they are now charging for queries?

Maybe with something like http://freegeoip.net/ or other alternatives?

My website is very location oriented, and one of the best features in the filters module was that it automatically located the user on a map without them having to do anything (and now they have to enter a city).

Thanks,

Dale.

Last Modified: 20 Oct 2017

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Sep 2014 07:36

I will replace it with pleasure if I find any relaible free service.

techutopia
Total posts: 202
30 Sep 2014 14:24

I've noticed that lack of access to Maxmind doesn't seem to cause too many problems on a desktop ... ... but when I view cobalt pages on a mobile I get a username and password request for their API. I do have a very old mobile phone, so maybe it's not too much of an issue for lots of people. Thanks, Dale.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Oct 2014 01:32

What services are used by other map/location related extensions? Maybe contact and ask them for advice?

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
04 Oct 2014 08:50

Doesn't Maxmind and Ip2Locations offers free services as well. I think http://freegeoip.net/ uses Maxmind's GeoLite. There is also http://www.ip2nation.com/ but I don't know it. But these free services aren't so accurate...they say.

Sergey
06 Oct 2014 02:48

klox7 Maxmind's GeoLite.

And

klox7 also http://www.ip2nation.com/

A not a services. Those are downloadable DBs.

klox7 VIP
08 Oct 2014 08:58

Sergey A not a services. Those are downloadable DBs.

Even so... Admin Tools from Akeeba uses GeoLite2 and from time to time I get message in admin to update it. And I need just to click a button.

AcyMailing, HikaShop uses http://www.ipinfodb.com/

Sergey
09 Oct 2014 10:54

klox7 Even so... Admin Tools from Akeeba uses GeoLite2

Then we might integrate it with Akeeba Admin tools. If it is installed then we initialize location with this one.

jimie VIP
Total posts: 531
09 Oct 2014 11:43

Not sure if that would be good idea specially if the script will be accessed from administrator area... think what may happen if people will have htpasswd protection for their administrator area..

rgds

klox7 VIP
09 Oct 2014 12:54

jimie Not sure if that would be good idea specially if the script will be accessed from administrator area...

It's a plugin so I think that won't be a problem. You can also download it for free from their site.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Nov 2014 17:33

techutopia when I view cobalt pages on a mobile I get a username and password request for their API

Same on my desktop computer.

I know about the advice to disable the geo field parameter "initialize position".
But we still have a similar and working feature with the manual button "Marker at my current location". I assume this is another technical way to set the location and it is browser-dependent... but anyway, why don't we use this option instead?!!

Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-23 um 16.39.52

Much better then a disabled feature and a manual click on a huge button. I think this method should be available as a parameter as well. Without hitting a button manually. IMHO, a very common method, I have seen it on many other sites.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Apr 2015 22:14

Ideas & Suggestions

1.) Please, add the optional HTML5 method where the browser asks for permission! It is very accurate, IMHO.
2.) Offer and use optional Geo IP sources, like in GeoLocator / Demo.
(I am aware of the different results, but in most cases you want to give an approximate location as a starting point.

Sergey
27 Apr 2015 05:25

pepperstreet 1.) Please, add the optional HTML5 method where the browser asks for permission! It is very accurate, IMHO.

This is what is used when you click My Position button. But I need something to initialize position. And what about browsers without HTML5 support.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Apr 2015 22:48

Sergey But I need something to initialize position.

If it uses the same technique on the button... why not use it for intial position!? (as an option!)

And what about browsers without HTML5 support.

As I mentioned in my previous post... and example: Use HTML5 and IP-based method as an option.
Maybe always HTML5 and a fallback to the IP-based services.
I know, their results may vary, but it gives an approximate starting value.

Better than nothing! ;)

Sergey
30 Apr 2015 12:10

pepperstreet If it uses the same technique on the button... why not use it for intial position!? (as an option!)

1. That require user confirmation to detect his location. To confirm something like that on loading website while you yet do not know what it shows very little chance. Can even scare people. But when user click buttn to find his location he is ready to confirm.
  2. I would like to know user posiotion regardless location service browser support and confirmation.

pepperstreet VIP
06 May 2015 21:06

Sergey 1. That require user confirmation to detect his location. To confirm something like that on loading website while you yet do not know what it shows very little chance. Can even scare people. But when user click buttn to find his location he is ready to confirm.

I see and use it everyday. I don't like such alerts either... but it seems to be a common way to do it. It is also a user's decision, he can decline/accept it for 1-time or for 24-hours. The question is clear and understandable for the average user. Not too bad and scary, IMHO.

As I mentioned in the previous comments, it could be an optional solution. Either a parameter to enable/disable it, or implement with fall-back, or always use IP-solution.

PS: Anything is better than a not-working solution, or an out-dated service which produces an error message!

20 Oct 2017 16:07

Hey, you could try our API as well: https://ipinfo.io/ We have API and 1000 free requests per day for non-commercial use. Also we have some paid plans for 1000+ daily requests, but we could discuss it.