golfads VIP
Total posts: 216
01 Apr 2014 15:57

Hi,

After the update to Cobalt v8.510 (to solve error reported here there is now another fatal error when trying to submit a new record, the error is:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getItem() on a non-object in /home/sjktours/public_html/administrator/components/com_cobalt/tables/record.php on line 129

Sergey, I know that, as usual, you are doing your best to get bugs solved, but it seems that new updated versions of Cobalt brings new bugs that did not exist in previous version and this is quite troublesome, as I mention you in one of my previous topic, we need to launch our website within few days and newly introduced bugs are making us loose quite lot of time and additional delays, please provide us a quick solution for this error as we are really out of time.

Thanks,

Tomy

Last Modified: 03 Apr 2014

Konstantin
Total posts: 1,113
02 Apr 2014 04:48

Fixed.

golfads VIP
02 Apr 2014 06:20

Hi,

Is the fix already available for download or will it be available today or after please? We need at least this part to be operational as we are adding records to our website and we cannot proceed till this is solved, can we get this fix and not need to wait for the next update please? This is very urgent for us.

Thanks,

Tomy

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
02 Apr 2014 06:22

Will be available in one hour.

golfads VIP
02 Apr 2014 06:59

Thank you very much sergey, as always, you are the best.

Thanks,

Tomy

brianpat VIP
Total posts: 211
02 Apr 2014 09:00

Sergey: We should try to make cobalt very stable and totally bug free. For new additional features, I think it may be better to release plugins rather than integrating it in core file. What do u think?

golfads VIP
02 Apr 2014 10:52

I also agree with @brianpat because even though we make backup of website before applying updates, it is quite troublesome for running website to show errors while been live and accessible to end-users!

Sergey
02 Apr 2014 11:17

These all arors come not from Cobalt. We do not change anything so it should continue to be stable. The only thing that makes Cobalt unstable is Joomla updates. We have to keep Cobalt compatible with latest version. But changes they do, sometimes affect older versions.

Right now the problem is that Joomla changed how it loads models.

I know what you mean. I also want CObalt to be stable and every next update more trasted than previous and I am discouraged about situations like that. But I get used to Joomla updates style. I understood that I cannot change that. The only thing I can change is responde to in ASAP.

Hope that the fact that all errors are fixed quickly partualy solve the whole issue of updates.

brianpat VIP
02 Apr 2014 14:08

I agree with you Sergey on what you say over here. This is actually hard. But I think it is best if you can provide to end user what version of joomla is supported, just not joomla 3.2 like that, but full joomla version. Joomla team is very aggressive in terms of releasing their new versions/fixes and they used to release at least a new version every 2 months or less. So to keep with them when you build the cobalt package, please make sure you put on release note regarding what version of joomla is tested so that the end user will not install it if they have already updated their joomla.

golfads VIP
02 Apr 2014 15:48

@brianpat - I agree with your opinion, however, I do not think that sergey will have enough time to do all that much on his own, correcting bug and adding new features to Cobalt, testing with new Joomla version environment, providing support in the forum, well, I really think this is too much for a single man!

As per my opinion, it is also our role as developer to help him about this, the best thing is that, when new Joomla version is available, we need to create a testing environment where all developers can participate in the testing to see if there are any bug and report it to the forum so that sergey and other cobalt developers can work on such bugs and make stable release available.

The fact is that, we, as developer, we are always looking for new features and sergey is doing his best to provide satisfaction to all of us, this is the main reason that I definitely prefer cobalt than other cck extensions, just because our needs and wants are heard by the developer and we are never left alone.

If we all participate, like a real community and friendly environment, we'll definitely make a better cobalt, our role as developer is to help sergey in the development of cobalt, because, some of us are using cobalt for our own website(s) and some others are using it for their customer's websites, therefore, cobalt is somehow our tool for creating nice and powerful websites, therefore, we need to participate.

@sergey, I think, the best think is to create a testing environment, something like Jomsocial team and Techjoomla team do, just with Joomla and Cobalt, and maybe Emerald as well, but I am not yet a subscriber of Emerald, therefore cannot speak for Emerald subscribers. Then, when new Joomla version is available, we just update the joomla version and start testing available Cobalt version and report any bug(s) found, therefore, this way, this will help you to better concentrate on correcting bugs and making new features rather than to hunt for compatibility issues, well, this is my personal opinion, I will create a new topic about this and try to gather other subscribers opinion and I will be more than happy to be part of the testing team as well.

brianpat VIP
02 Apr 2014 19:14

@golfads : I completely agree with you what you say over here. Sergey is doing a fantastic job here with very people in his team. It is necessary to plan as per your recommendation. I am fine with this and would like to participate to whatever i can. It is now upto Sergey to approve ur idea.

Sergey
03 Apr 2014 06:30

@golfads: @golfads: Gold words! Thank you! Reading almost with tears :`)

golfads @sergey, I think, the best think is to create a testing environment, something like Jomsocial team and Techjoomla team do, just with Joomla and Cobalt, and maybe Emerald as well...............

Agree. We can use our demo site for that purpose.