golfads VIP
Total posts: 216
23 Dec 2013 00:42

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share this with all those (who like me) had some troubles to find a very good template that worked perfectly with Cobalt 8 without any additional css manipulation or jquery conflict.

So far, I have been trying warp (from yootheme), gantry (from rockettheme), gavern (from gavickpro), helix (from joomshaper), vertex (from shape5), T3 (from joomlart), JSN (from joomlashine) and XTC (from JoomlaXTC).

All these template framework had some issues at some stages such as layout conflict, jquery conflicts etc.

Therefore, if you do not want to loose much time in css issues and other small technical issues, I have found that templates from Smartaddons work perfectly with Cobalt 8, no need to modify any css code, it just work out of the box, no jquery conflict and very good caching system for quick loading and very good performance website.

P.S. I am not a representative of Smartaddons, just a satisfied customer, I have been pulling my hair for months with all above mention frameworks, there was always a problem and finally move to Smartaddons, now my website is nearly finished and I am completely satisfied with it, once my website is finished at 100% will share it here for all Cobalt lovers to get your opinions as well.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
23 Dec 2013 02:56

great to know, a particular template from Smartaddons ? Please

golfads VIP
23 Dec 2013 05:29

From my site, I am currently using SJ Finance, but I have also tried SJ Flat News and both just work fine with Cobalt, I only chosen the SJ Finance based on some requirements of my own website but as I mention above, their css is not like other template frameworks, it just work fine.

hwdevteam VIP
Total posts: 76
23 Dec 2013 19:05

Thanks Tomy, good to know! - We normally build our own templates based on bootstrap, but we have noticed - especially in Joomla 3+ that templates from themes tend to be slower than our own. So if a project has teh budget, we build it, if not then these look like a good first option..

hwdevteam VIP
Total posts: 76
23 Dec 2013 19:07

Also, Tomy, many people who use Joomla seem to be saying T3 is the pick of the bunch for making development time less, and I was looking at getting up to speed on it, what issues did you have with that one in particular?

And how are you dealing with creating good SEF URL's in Cobalt?

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
26 Dec 2013 08:03

Please with SJ Finance, can you test popup of mail field and relation parents / chield field (attach)

i think there is a small conflict

golfads VIP
26 Dec 2013 15:55

Hi, ok, will check this and let you know by tomorrow.

golfads VIP
26 Dec 2013 16:25

I was able to check it earlier than schedule, in fact yes, there is a problem with the email fields (for both popup and sliding method), I am contacting Smartaddons right now to let them know about the issue.

About the parents/child field I was not able to reproduce it yet since I have not yet used this field, do you have a live URL where I can check it and send a support ticket to smartaddons about it please?

golfads VIP
26 Dec 2013 16:48

The problem is not with the SJ Finance, it is with Cobalt itself, I have temporally set protostar as default template and went on the test page, see attached screenshot, contact button is not even visible! There is additionally another error in Cobalt backend, if records need approval by admin in backend, when admin go to backend to activate an item, there is an error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_SL, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/golfplus/public_html/administrator/components/com_cobalt/controllers/records.php on line 34

and records are not activated, I am going to create two another topic to go through these issues deeper as we cannot just go through everything in this topic for better support.