dlbass93 VIP
Total posts: 44
06 Jun 2013 19:07

Hey guys,

I have the task of setting up an email like system for a summer camp. They want the ability to allow parents of campers to send a message to their child. The parent should select the camp from a dropdown, provide who the message is to, who it is from, and the message. I understand how I can do that part in Cobalt. The questionable part is how the camp staff can print these messages off everyday to deliver to the campers. Is this something that can be somewhat easily done in Cobalt?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
06 Jun 2013 22:58

The questionable part is how the camp staff can print these messages off everyday to deliver to the campers.

By default Cobalt does not support printing very well.

Actually even the printing of individual records with the standard templates gives some headache. (Example Full view with tabs will not display content under inactive tabs -- but that might be subject of another topic)

A solution to your problem might involve a third party component.

Either a ready made report component which can query the database

or something "hand-made" with a html layout display of your messages and than calling it with

index.php?option=com_myprintcomponent&tmpl=component&print=1

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
07 Jun 2013 01:48

I am thinking about email field. You can create cobalt article forre every camp. So you do not chose camps in the dropdown. You just see list of them with descriptions, locations, datesatrt and end and who knows what else.

And there is send буыыфпу to your child button with is email field. Paremt eneter message, enter child name and who he is. Because mail form supports custom fields. And it is received to email of secretary. She just print this email and that is it.

07 Jun 2013 09:39

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to go the email route. We talked about writing a plugin for printing, like Sackgesicht said, and we are going to start working on that. But, for now, Sergey's email method is going to be what we do for this year. It starts next Monday :[