cherosoullis VIP
Total posts: 165
02 Dec 2014 21:41

I want to add a record and restrict access to a single registered user or with a password. Can this be done with cobalt and how.

I have also emerald 9. Is this better handle with emerald.

I want to have this as a choice on article submition. If not possible I will create another type for this or even another section.

Thanks in advance.

Last Modified: 08 Dec 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 Dec 2014 23:18

cherosoullis I want to have this as a choice on article submission

You mean for admin/moderators?

...add a record and restrict access to a single registered user

Cobalt only:

What you describe sounds like "Author only" access.
What about restricting general access to a section/category by default... You may hide the record list, or show the titles to other users. The record full view is only accessible to the author. Authors can see and edit their own record(s) only.

So, assigning and changing the owner/author of a record should work. This could be done by an admin.

Advantage: Everything works by configuration and record edit/submission form.

Emerald:

There is "Article and User individualization". You may restrict any content or just a part of it by a special syntax. But that means you would have to enter those shortcodes with PlanID's and/or UserID's into every content manually: This might be a J! core article, Cobalt text/HTML field or directly in any templates PHP code.

The advantage might be the versatility and option to assign multiple users to the same content.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
03 Dec 2014 23:14

cherosoullis I want to add a record and restrict access to a single registered user or with a password

I've been thinking of restricting access to a record or fields with a password too. Sometimes you want to share information or photo's only with a trusted circle of friends in a crowed sourced environment. The question is how to implement this.

Community Builder has a privacy plugin which enables you to restrict fields to your connections only. I like that approach. Unfortunately, I don't see anything like that coming to Cobalt soon.

I guess you could incorporate password protected content by using a text or password field and then set a condition to each field (or field group?) to match the value of the password field. I would like to see this as a feature to each field in Cobalt though.

I am not sure if Emerald is the way to go with password protected content, since it is subscription based.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Dec 2014 00:54

pepperstreet You may restrict any content or just a part of it by a special syntax. But that means you would have to enter those shortcodes with PlanID's and/or UserID's into every content manually

A weird idea...

since the Emerald syntax can be used in template PHP code, you might build your own "syntax constructor". A helper to streamline the input of the cryptic syntax. i.e. form fields that lets you select the user and/or the plan. You simply select the people/plan interactively, and the rest is already part of the template code ;)

Not sure if Emerald requires the PlanID# in syntax. If yes, you could simply add a special/invisible plan for all users. Grant this plan to all users for free/lifetime after login. Then the plugin call will only need changes to the UserID# part ;)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Dec 2014 04:28

You only need password protect or you need people to pay for it?

Right now I can only see one way of doing it.

1. In type -> Submission parameters, set defult access special. this will make so that only authors of their own records may access articles.
  2. When you create article, set user you want this article to see as author of the article.

With Emerald there is no current implementation to restrict access based on user ID. Although it is easely fixable. Just tell me more what is your site about and what you are trying to acomplish.

cherosoullis VIP
Total posts: 165
07 Dec 2014 13:16

Right now I can only see one way of doing it.

1. In type -> Submission parameters, set defult access special. this will make so that only authors of their own records may access articles.
  2. When you create article, set user you want this article to see as author of the article.

Surgey this is a good idea. This will require the user to register. If this is one off case (lets say a friend of mine) this will force them to register on my site. Also this will not work if I want to share it to a group of people even if they are registered.

Although in my case this will work just fine. Thanks for the idea.

Emerald is so powerfull tool and this is a simple task (I think) that should be able to handle.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
08 Dec 2014 07:02

cherosoullis This will require the user to register.

Of course. It does not matter if you use core Joomla ACL, Emerald or anything alse ever developed for Joomla - you cannot manage access of unregistered users.

cherosoullis Also this will not work if I want to share it to a group of people even if they are registered.

It will work with groups as well. But for that you will have to add all users you want to special group and then create a special accesslevel and use that one as limitation for article access.

cherosoullis Emerald is so powerfull tool and this is a simple task (I think) that should be able to handle.

This is not simple task for Emerald. Because you what to restrict based on user ID. In normal circustances it means that you have to create new subscription per every new article per user. With our individualization trick, you only have to create one plan per user but for all articles.