switchblade1984 VIP
Total posts: 132
27 Oct 2014 22:58

Hello, its been a while since I played around with the Ratings. I had so many ideas to use these ratings the problem is since the release of Cobalt 8, as much as the Ratings are good they still lack a little more flexibility.

I need to impliment ratings a certian way into my type but I wouldn't know how to go about this I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas I can try to get these results.

So the main problem I am facing is the fact that I have multiple categories but I only use one type for all of them. I know the easiest way to get what I am going for here is to make multiple types but the problem with that is I would have way too much seperate data, I already have Smart Slider set up with cobalt and its perfect but if I where to have multiple type of the categories I wouldn't be able to feed the right data into the sliders properly.

So what I really want to do instead is hack my current type to be able to have more then 1 instance of multi ratings so I can go into the type, fill out the multiple ratings for each instance of Mutli Ratings and then when I go to post an article I have the option to rate the right type for whatever category the current article is for.

Is this at all possible and could you point me to the right files to edit?

Thanks.

Last Modified: 30 Oct 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
28 Oct 2014 02:50

I am not exactly clear on that. Where is the problem? Rating is binded to article you rate. Why multiple types? You want to get rating of all articles in one category? You use Rating API?

switchblade1984 VIP
28 Oct 2014 06:24

No, I am after the functionality of Multi Ratings. The problem I have is I need more criteria to be specific. Lets say I am rating 3 different types of media, Games, Movies, TV Series. I can't just use 1 Multi Ratings for one thing like a rating of Gameplay Etc because it would make sense to have that option when there are also categories of Movies. If I could put 3 Multi Rating boxes (Or more) to fill out then I could make a list of differnt rating types per category.

I managed to copy over the instance in the template so I can at least show you what I need, the only problem is all I did was make 2 of the same so it just mirrors each other because all I did was edit Template.

Screenshot

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
28 Oct 2014 06:40

IMHO, it would make more sense to have a separate Rating field to get "multiple instances".

Otherwise I would suggest to go the multi-type route. Different type in different category... I think, this is the way Cobalt was designed. AFAIK, a unique feature in J! extensions eco space. The only alternative is Drupal or Craft (without rating) ;)

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
28 Oct 2014 06:47

On the other hand... maybe there is a way to make a smart custom Multi-Rating template. Use one multirating instance, but differentiate between the options based on category/type? Maybe display or exchange the options dynamically... or the "wording"...

(just thinking loud)

switchblade1984 VIP
29 Oct 2014 10:07

Yeah I really wanted a Multi Rating Field for a long time now but i don't think it will come so I just want to try this method myself for now. its probably a little too hard I know I just wanted to be pointed at the right files to edit that make up the data for the Types Form to play around with.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
30 Oct 2014 11:23

switchblade1984 Lets say I am rating 3 different types of media, Games, Movies, TV Series.

You have one type for all of them?