klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
05 Aug 2015 13:48

Hi,

if I select record as featured and I don't select date in "Featured expire on" then "Featured" is automatically set to "No". How can I bypass this? I need to set up featured without the need to set up exparation for featured. I think if you leave "Featured expire on" empty then record should stay featured until you manually cancel it.

Regards

Last Modified: 13 Aug 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
06 Aug 2015 07:20

Just set date for 100 years. Unfortunately featured is only periodical.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
07 Aug 2015 00:24

Sergey Just set date for 100 years. Unfortunately featured is only periodical.

Just a quick idea. What about setting a default for EMPTY... something like "never". I guess internally this keyword is equal to a very long time like 999 years. Isn't it working with a similar logic in Joomla core and other empty date fields?

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
07 Aug 2015 02:58

@klox7 Just being curious, why would you want a record to be featured forever?

klox7 VIP
07 Aug 2015 09:04

pepperstreet Isn't it working with a similar logic in Joomla core and other empty date fields?

Does Joomla have "expire featured" setting?

Jeff @klox7 Just being curious, why would you want a record to be featured forever?

ex. I'm a seller (distributor) for other products but among these products there are also some that are my own (I made them). So I want for those product to be always featured :)

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
08 Aug 2015 01:42

klox7 ex. I'm a seller (distributor) for other products but among these products there are also some that are my own (I made them). So I want for those product to be always featured :)

Alright, a featured owner item then...

I presume with I'm a seller you mean a user (not you), so the option to select a featured owner has to be as simpel and convenient as possible right? Because if you meant yourself (as a site admin and owner) the solution would be pretty simple.

IMHO the current featured option can stay as it is.

Easy step Create a field featured owner (checkbox). Create a rule in the template to add a css class to the bounding box class of the record. So if a user ticks this box the record will have an extra class assigned to it (ie special) after updating/saving. Style your special class the same way like any other featured item.

Tricky step Assign with a little bit of JS a value of 100 years to the featured field when the featured owner checkbox is ticked. This step is only needed if you have set your featured items to stay on top of the list, or if you have a featured items module.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Aug 2015 03:45

klox7

Great advice. Was about to suggest something similar ;)

In addition, the Status field is very useful for such tasks. The frontend AJAX makes it very quick and convenient for moderators and admins. Not to mention the advanced parameters of that field.

klox7 don't select date in "Featured expire on" then "Featured" is automatically set to "No"

I agree! This is totally confusing. At least this is the case for Admins and Edit form.
BTW, the Date is too far located from the checkbox. i.e. there is language and hide parameter inbetween.

If this is a parameter with 2 required inputs, it should either have a different appearnace and UI.
Or it should allow an independent input and functionality of the checkbox and (optional) date.

Sergey
10 Aug 2015 06:58

There is much simplier feature input

2015-08-10_12-44-36

Just change 30 to 30000 in type parameters integration with Emerald. You do not even have to edit article.

klox7 VIP
10 Aug 2015 14:41

Sergey Just change 30 to 30000 in type parameters integration with Emerald. You do not even have to edit article.

This is as close as I need it. Thanks.

I meant for "I'm a seller" that I'm a seller as site owner, not user. I know I can add extra fields and do some custom programming (if similar feature is there I'm trying to avoid this 2 options) but since featured option is there almost suitable I wanted to use it. Anyway, I still think core unlimited featured option would be great in some cases. Just as multiple options to make featured fo 30, 60 days, 6 months if somebody buys Emerald plan for featured item.

Sergey
11 Aug 2015 13:42

klox7 Just as multiple options to make featured fo 30, 60 days, 6 months if somebody buys Emerald plan for featured item.

You see this is the problem. Emrald does not know what items to make feaurtred. What if user have 100 items added? Make all of them featured? Other user have only 10 items added, but cost of subscription is the same.

So, the way it works, you purchase subscription and you can selectevly make some items featured. Only those that you want. And in subscription you can acc count limit option. It means that user is able either make one article 3 timed features or 3 articles 1 time features. Both 100 articles and 10 articles users have the same possibility for the same price.

klox7 VIP
13 Aug 2015 12:22

Sergey You see this is the problem. Emrald does not know what items to make feaurtred.

Didn't we somewhere discuss that Emerald will have an option to attach subscription to specific Cobalt record. That would eliminate this problem.

Sergey
13 Aug 2015 13:03

klox7 Didn't we somewhere discuss that Emerald will have an option to attach subscription to specific Cobalt record. That would eliminate this problem.

Yes in Emerald 10 with custom fields. We discussed that it will be possible to do custom field like that where you chose record that you want to make featured.