klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
28 Apr 2015 09:46

Hi,

when attaching existing record to parent record and when you search in modal it gives you strange results.

Let's say we have this options

Lion hotel Monkey hotel Goat hotel Fish hotel

If you search "Lion" than you get one result with "Lion hotel".

But if you search "Lion hotel" then you get all results.

Can this be changed so everytime you get "Lion hotel" in results?

Regards

Last Modified: 12 May 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
30 Apr 2015 12:15

It is because it is OR style search. To me it is more intuitive way. Somethign you expect out of the search. Isn't it?

klox7 VIP
02 May 2015 08:10

Yes, but the problem is when you have 200 records with word "hotel" and "Lion hotel" is on 150 position. In this case users might think there is no "Lion hotel". I'm right?

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 May 2015 23:57

Personally, I would expect to show results which include ALL of my terms. Actually, I am responsible for the input... if it does not return a match... I try to reduce or change MY terms... until it shows proper results. (just my 2 cents)

Isn't it a special case here? It is a search input for titles, and I would expect it to find exact matches (where the title begins with my terms). Comparable to an AJAX powered filter.

So, OR might not be the best choice in this particular dialog.

Sergey
06 May 2015 02:04

pepperstreet It is a search input for titles, and I would expect it to find exact matches

Fulltext natural language search does that but with relevance. It means that if there is exact match, that result will be on top of the search and then the rest. The less it conform to search pattern the less is the relevance of the search result.

It is not very obvious feature but you can even order by search relevance after search.

2015-05-06_07-55-08

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
06 May 2015 20:47

Sergey Fulltext natural language search does that but with relevance

Interesting. Always wondered when and why I got this extra option in "Sort by" menu ;)

Anyway, klox7 was referring to the modal window dialog:

"...attaching existing record to parent record and when you search in modal..."

klox7 VIP
08 May 2015 10:34

Where do I enable this order by text search relevance?

Sergey
12 May 2015 11:03

It only appear when fulltext search have been applied.