stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
20 Feb 2013 15:26

I want to implement this:

1 - Country1 users are redirected to a section where they see articles written from users from Country1.

Featured articles are from Country1, everything Cobalt records/categories/types/fields is from Country1 users.

2 - Country2 users are redirected to a section where they see articles from Country2.Featured articles are from Country2, everything Cobalt records/categories/types/fields is from Country2 users.

The same goes for country3 and country4 (4 countries total)

This way it looks like something more geotargeted.

The problems:

3 - I want users from any country to be allowed to search every section using a dropdown box (country) + adittional filters from Cobalt

For this i know i can create a menu or something like that, pointing to the different sections, so that they can "change" the section and search there... but is that the only option ?

4 - In case a user goes to the wrong section and insert a record that does not correspond to his country, in the backoffice how can i change the record from 1 section to another ?

Every section has the same type and fields, but i want to show only records (including featured records) from ONLY a specific country.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
20 Feb 2013 23:50

You can use Joomla global search. It search in all sections.

But i do not think redirect is a good Idea. I think you need 1 section and in article field country. And user may switch country. You may of course prefilter new users but they can reset filter if they want.

This way you avoid problem with search and also think of this. I am from country A but I came to Country И for a week and I open website and redirected to wrong country. how do I switch? But filter notifier is very well visible and easy to delete.

stblink VIP
21 Feb 2013 08:35

so i can insert a field country into the type and i can filter records by only a specific country, using url parameters?

stblink VIP
21 Feb 2013 11:12

I know what you say but that only applies if you're in a different country. For this example 99% of the customers will come from their original country.

But think about this (think like an end user, not a developer):

You are from Russia and you visit a site that has listings from Russia, Ukraine and France. If you enter without geolocation settings then you will see:

Featured listing from Russia, Ukraine and France all mixed up, after that you will see no-featured records from those 3 countries.

Usually in this cases you are looking for records from Russia (it's location based services), why should i show to you records from Ukraine and France ?

Another point... you will only see featured records from Russia and not other country, this way there is more space available for Russian records to be displayed.

If i visit a website that has location services all from my country i spend more time on the site then after seeing location services from 4 countries mixed together, although i have the option to filter for country. But you know how important the first impression is...

stblink VIP
21 Feb 2013 12:05

By the way... the field i want to use for filtering is the Country field from the Geomap field, it's possible to filter by this field correct?

Sergey
22 Feb 2013 06:53

It is not yet possible. I mean it is possible but require some custom programing. I Ment simple select field.

stblink VIP
22 Feb 2013 08:45

Only the simple select field is available for url filtering ?

Or is the geomap field the only field which is not available the url filtering ?

btw.. here's my thanks for the support, my first JED review. http://extensions.joomla.org/index.php?option=com_mtree& ;task=viewlink&link_id=21340

Sergey
26 Feb 2013 07:44

Any field is good for URL filtering. I think you can even create URL to filter by country in geo field. You only need to create right URL.

btw.. here's my thanks for the support, my first JED review. http://extensions.joomla.org/index.php?option=com_mtree& ;task=viewlink&link_id=21340

I've read your review few days ago. And I'll tell you man, did I appreciate it! That was very excited reading. I very appreciate your review "I almost cried :S".

stblink VIP
26 Feb 2013 08:18

Thanks!

It is not yet possible.

It is not yet possible.

Any field is good for URL filtering. I think you can even create URL to filter by country in geo field. You only need to create right URL.

So... not possible or possible? And how would the url be in this case?

If i use the Cobalt advanced search to search for the Country (geomap field) and press search, the url will be there on the browser adress ? In this case the url must be non-sef correct?

Sergey
26 Feb 2013 09:08

give me link you your site and I'll give you URL :)

stblink VIP
26 Feb 2013 10:10

i will let you know when the site is live. For now i only need to know that is possible.

thanks